Best way to rip DVDs?

saguk1234

I want to rip a DVD at very good quality with the DD/DTS soundtrack.

What is the best way of doing this?

saguk1234

I only rip my own dvds.

I want to rip to my hardrive then transfer it to a popcorn etc or play through my oppo. I did use DVD shrink but the VOB file won't play on my oppo.

saguk1234

I need one that can copy at 100% quality, be able to choose and drop DD or DTS and be able to play on a popcorn etc.

saguk1234

I am using dvd shrink with no compression and therefore takes up a lot of space. Is there a way getting the same video quality but without taking up huge space?

Rom

If you want the movie only (not bothered about menus) then you can use Handbrake. I use it for all of my rips. I rip to MKV container with all the digital audio streams and subtitles (if I want). The video is re-encoded to x/h.264.

This brings a DVD down on average to 1 to 2.5gig on high quality (depending on the film & length of course). All play fine on my C-200 with selectable audio & titles.

Forgot to mention, you can also have chapters (if your NMT supports them - which the C-200 does).

Last edited:

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
If you want the movie only (not bothered about menus) then you can use Handbrake. I use it for all of my rips. I rip to MKV container with all the digital audio streams and subtitles (if I want). The video is re-encoded to x/h.264.

This brings a DVD down on average to 1 to 2.5gig on high quality (depending on the film & length of course). All play fine on my C-200 with selectable audio & titles.

Forgot to mention, you can also have chapters (if your NMT supports them - which the C-200 does).

On high quality, what do they look like ripped with handbrake?

Rom

On high quality, what do they look like ripped with handbrake?

I notice no discerning quality drop at all. Most users use 'normal' presets and set the quality setting set to around 50-55, I have mine set permanently to 60 (constant bit rate) which is generally only recommended for BD re-encoding. But for the small sacrifice in space I know I'm going to get a great encode.

Give it a test. You can encode an individual chapter to try it out. Pretty good tool with batch encoding too (I have films ripped and queued to encode overnight).

Matt

Whats the quality/filesize compare with a DVD rip/compress between xvid/divx and mkv?

Does handbrake do the compression as well as the ripping?

Fowl

What is everyone's thoughts on ripping with MakeMKV?

As a complete newbie, I use it to rip all of my DVDs as it it is very much a simple fire and forget program, in that I can just leave it to get on with it with few confusing options.

At present I am just rippping my collection until I can decide upon which Media Player to buy. Does it provide good quality rips? I.e. when I do get a media player and hook it up to a large screen, will they look as a DVD would if played normally?

Somebody also mentioned that Handbrake provides a ripping program that will leave you with a 1.5-2 GB DVD file when ripped on high quality. That seems much lower than what MakeMKV gives me. Does anybody know if there is any noticeable difference in Quality between the two.

Thanks

P.s. sorry for hijacking your thread.

yoda01

Standard Member
I like make MKV it’s easy to use, free and produces high quality MKVs from DVDs and Blu Rays.
It is possible remove unwanted foreign language files and extra scenes and just copy the movie to the hard drive
I feel it’s the best one program solution at the moment and a good starting point for people new to this

Check out Doom9s forum and VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists for detailed guides using a combination of programs

The basic steps how to make one single mkv from a Blu-ray Disc video, no quality loss. And also how to shrink it to a MKV, MP4 or AVI.

Link
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic366744.html

Tools used
HandBrake, MakeMKV

Conversion
Blu-ray to MKV Blu-ray to MP4 Blu-ray to AVI MKV to MKV

chrisgeary

hard disk space is cheap. I went with DVDFab (DVD Shrink will work and can extract without compressing, but it won't read all discs) and ripped the main movie and soundtrack I wanted to ISO. Takes about 15 minutes per DVD, no transcoding takes place (Handbrake will transcode and take about 2 hours per movie to do so just to save you 50% disk space).

When you are ripping 200 movies, Handbrake just isn't an option. Buy a couple of terabyte drives.

Evil Engineer

What is everyone's thoughts on ripping with MakeMKV?

As a complete newbie, I use it to rip all of my DVDs as it it is very much a simple fire and forget program, in that I can just leave it to get on with it with few confusing options.

At present I am just rippping my collection until I can decide upon which Media Player to buy. Does it provide good quality rips? I.e. when I do get a media player and hook it up to a large screen, will they look as a DVD would if played normally?

Somebody also mentioned that Handbrake provides a ripping program that will leave you with a 1.5-2 GB DVD file when ripped on high quality. That seems much lower than what MakeMKV gives me. Does anybody know if there is any noticeable difference in Quality between the two.

Thanks

P.s. sorry for hijacking your thread.

MakeMKV just creates a single mkv file from what's already on the disc without converting it in any way. Because the video hasn't been converted you know that you haven't lost any quality from the original at all. The downside is that because DVD uses the older MPEG2 codec you end up with larger files.

Handbrake will convert the video from MPEG2 to the newer and more efficient x.264/h.264 format (loosely also known as MPEG4) to give smaller file sizes. The quality will depend entirely on the encoder settings used during the conversion.

Rom

As EvilEngineer says, h264/x264 is a far more efficient encoding algorithm. As I said previously, I notice no discernable quality loss when encoding to h264 using Handbrake.

In response to the poster stating 'drive space is cheap', I agree, but when you have over 800 standard DVDs, that will soon fill a few TB if you just rip to ISO/VIDEO_TS folders.

With Handbrake it is pretty much a few clicks and leave it to do its stuff. It has a queueing facility so I can leave it encoding overnight and when I get up I add a few more discs to the queue.

On HQ with 1 subtitle track, 1 AC3 track 90% of my films are below 1.5gig. Over the last 3 weeks I have ripped and re-encoded 400+ DVDs and used almost 750gig of drive space. A big saving as if I had just ripped the discs and taking an average of 5gig per disc I would have needed 2TB. My priority is quality and fitting my whole DVD collection inside my popcorn hour (it has a 1.5TB disc in it). Speed is not my concern, as I'm not going to watch all my films within a week or so ;)

I am ripping on a 4GB ram Q6600 quad core on Windows 7. On average it encodes in real time (ie about 20-28fps) so a 90 minute film takes about 90 mins (or a bit under) to encode.

Handbrake does rip as well direct from the disc but it can only then do 1 disc at a time (you can't use batch mode) and it is not guaranteed to be able to rip all discs.

I rip to HDD with AnyDVD HD and then send them to Handbrake's batch for encoding. When each one is done I FTP directly to my PCH.

saguk1234

Is it recommended that you don't use VOB files? LOTR 2 disc takes 10.5gb in VOB format!

Is it possible to go from DVD to h264/x264?

This is all confusing. I just want one file at DVD quality with the AC3/DTS sountrack within a small file.

Last edited:

Rom

Is it recommended that you don't use VOB files? LOTR 2 disc takes 10.5gb in VOB format!

Is it possible to go from DVD to h264/x264?

This is all confusing. I just want one file at DVD quality with the AC3/DTS sountrack within a small file.

Yes, it is certainly possible to go from VOB to h.264 (that is what handbrake does as well as going from other video formats).

I assume you have the EE LOTR set(s) - I have them too and still to encode them. You can if you want 'stitch' the 2 encodes together to make 1 big MKV (which would be considerably smaller than the combined VOBs). However, this is more involved and Handbrake will not do this for you so you need other tools to do this after your MKVs have been created.

The C-200 has a facility to 'link' 2 MKVs together so they are played consecutively so this will be the option I will probably go for.

At a rough guess, in my HQ settings and RF set to 20 on constant bit rate I would hazard a guess at the fellowship to be around 3gig complete.

I will do LOTR: Fellowship tonight & report back.

Matt

How does makemkv and handbrake handle TV DVDs? I've got a lot of series like Frasier, Friends, SATC etc that i would want to rip onto a drive.

Rom

How does makemkv and handbrake handle TV DVDs? I've got a lot of series like Frasier, Friends, SATC etc that i would want to rip onto a drive.

In Handbrake (most) TV series are shown as 'title 1', 'title 2' etc for each episode. I just encode each one seperately naming them 'Star Trek S01E01' ,'Star Trek S01E02' etc.

My popcorn with YAMJ then sees them as TV series with episodes and I can watch them individually or 'Play All'.

Some TV series are in 1 title (like one of my 'Shameless' sets. Here they are generally in chapters. Eg, if it was 4 episodes and there are 4 chapters in each episode. HB will show 1 title (eg title 1) and 16 chapters. I just encode chapters 1-4 as 1 episode, chapter 5-8 as another. I then have seperate episodes just like my Star Trek example.

@saguk1234: Depends on your encoding settings but like for like quality, h264 is a lot smaller files. (MKV is just a container, not a format. MKV can have h264 video, MPG, XVID etc). H264 is the best to use currently (IMO).

saguk1234

@saguk1234: Depends on your encoding settings but like for like quality, h264 is a lot smaller files. (MKV is just a container, not a format. MKV can have h264 video, MPG, XVID etc). H264 is the best to use currently (IMO).

So its possible to convert a dvd film directly in H264 with like for like quailty? What program does this?

Rom

So its possible to convert a dvd film directly in H264 with like for like quailty? What program does this?

When re-encoding anything there is always some loss of quality but with H.264 and a high quality setting the difference is unnoticeable (to me!). Remember, this is the movie only, no menus.

The program I use is Handbrake (there are versions for windows, linux & mac), its free. There are other programs but I like handbrake, it is simple and quick.

Handbrake Download

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Re: MakeMKV for DVDs - imho this is perfect for DVD TV series, but DVDShrink is better for normal movies. It's more intuitive, you can preview the parts of the disc you're ripping, plus some media players don't support chapters with MKV whereas most of them do with DVD ISOs.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022