1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to play DVD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Lothandyr, Jan 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lothandyr

Lothandyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have recently bought a Sharp LC32GA4E and I am very pleased wih it. (Thanks to the setup threads in this forum!) I am wondering what is the best way to play a DVD, is it best to buy a DVD player with DVI out, or use my PC with its 9800 Pro graphics card and PowerDVD via DVI or to use my xbox which is modded and connected to my component inputs? Thanks!

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    See if you get a good picture from your PC. Problems you might be affected by are:

frame rate conversion - the full screen 1366x768 mode is 60Hz, but UK DVDs are 50Hz, so you may see juddering on slow camera pans.

poor video deinterlacing - DVDs that were shot on video (eg: some TV series and sport) won't look quite as good with PC based de-interlacers than the de-interlacing systems used on some more expensive DVD players. (But video based material always looks worse than film on LCDs anyway, and almost all DVDs are film based.)

you might not be able to get sound as good as you would from a DVD player.

I'm very happy with my Denon DVD-3910, but the screen has to scale its 1280x720 50Hz signal to 1366x768 and I wonder if it affets the image.

I can't comment on your X-box, but I think digital DVI is the way to go. You are bound to loose information and gain noise in the signal going from digital to analogue and back to digital via component.

James

3. Lothandyr

Lothandyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply jgrg, just had a quick look at your DVD player on the net, very nice until I saw the price £800ish OUCH!! I'm afraid I have lots of better ways to spend that kind of money! I was thinking more £200 - £300 range any ideas?

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Try the Denon 1910?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, spot on. The Denon 1910 has the necessary DVI out and is around the £200+ mark. Denon = Good Stuff.

Jimmy

6. Lothandyr

Lothandyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, I'll look into it as soon as I've finished paying for my TV!!

7. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung do some pretty reasonable DVI enabled DVD's. Anybody compared them against the Denon ? 1910