Question Best way to move wiring

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cr4u, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cr4u

cr4u
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I now have a flat with a TV aerial, Satellite dish and large Triax distribution amplifier in the communal area.

In the flat I have a combined outlet with sat1, sat2, TV, FM and telephone but need to move or duplicate this setup to the opposite side of the room. Was thinking about cutting the 3 cables in the loft and joining to new cables running to new location. (BT master already in new location)

Could be difficult to identify sat1 and sat2, does it matter if I mix them up as they look like identical outlets from the main distribution amplifier?

Presume I join with F type connectors and not coax?

Option 2 would be to replace the 2 way SLX amplifier that feeds the bedrooms with a 4 way and run a coax to the new location. Much easier to do but I would only receive digital TV and not satellite so fewer channels?

Buying new TV later in the year when I decide what I need and currently using Avtex caravan TV with built in Freesat. Do I really need anything other than 1 satellite connection and a router on a modern TV?

Thanks

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Freeview/YouView/etc. is generally referred to as terrestrial rather than digital these days as satellite is digital too.

I'm not sure on the exact channel counts these days, but I'd only consider Satellite to have more channels if you're subscribing to Sky. Freesat is comparable to Freeview in terms of content.

3. cr4u

cr4u
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I have got it all rewired and working OK now. There are 2 channels I like that only seem to be on Freesat for some reason.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    What are they? I didn't think there were many exclusives these days. A couple of US news channels and a couple of +1s.

5. cr4u

cr4u
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe I'm wrong on this having thought about it. Mainly American Pickers on Dave and PBS America but having checked it seems they are available on Freeview too. I have Freesat built in to my TV so maybe I don't receive Freeview. Digital TV is from a communal supply to the flat and I assumed it was Freeview.

When I buy my new TV, should I be looking at built in Freeview/Freesat or get an external box? The EPG is not very good on my Avtex caravan TV and I believe it's some kind of licensing agreement (or lack of it)