Question Best way to mount in plasterboard ceiling 12" x 6" standard speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sheepdisease, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello there, I just wondered if anyone could help me come up with a DIY solution for fitting standard speakers in the ceiling? There is plenty of space to accommodate depth. I need something which will end up looking like an in-ceiling speaker installation with material dust filter and hopefully acoustic qualities to ensure sound travels out of the front without being lost to the sides or front?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    Are you mounting the speaker ON the ceiling or IN the ceiling?

The first thing to do is find the Studs (wood frame) in the ceiling. You can by a Stud Finder cheap enough at a hardware or building supply store.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=...4.products-cc..2.9.703.K7cCXrlEShU&gws_rd=ssl

Then you have to determine if the space between the Studs is convenient for your speakers. This is true whether you are using bookshelf speakers or true in-wall speakers.

Pure speculation, but you will probably have to open the ceiling from Stud to Stud, then install braces that you can then screw to the speaker. Make sure the screws do not penetrate too deeply into the speakers.

More critical than getting the speakers in the ceiling is getting the speaker wires from the speaker to the amp. That is not as easy as it sounds. If the studs run in the direction you need the wiring to go, then it is easy enough to throw wire along the Studs and at least get it to the wall. But if the studs run across the path of the wire, then running the wire gets more complicated.

Then once the speaker is installed and once the wire is run, you have to patch the ceiling. It is possible to buy in-ceiling speaker grills, or to make in ceiling grills that will blend with the ceiling better than the typical speaker grill.

However, having a closed back speaker does not necessarily guarantee that no sound will be transferred. Sound can and will be transferred through solid objects, from the speaker into the stud frame into the floor above; the question is, while the transfer be low enough to satisfy you?

Steve/bluewizard

3. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you for your reply, I think I should clarify..

I have pulled down the plasterboard ceilings and created stud walls which will be plasterboarded once all wiring is in place so I can then insulate.

Did I read right that you think I need to drill into the speakers to put screws through? If yes, is there not a less destructive way?

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I'm assuming you are talking about BOX speakers rather than standard In-Wall/In-Ceiling speakers. You have to hold those in place somehow.

So, speakers like this -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13688-tannoy-mercury-v1i-speakers-pair.aspx

Rather than speaker like this -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14107-monitor-audio-cwt140-installation-speaker-single.aspx

Also, if you are trying to seal the back to prevent disturbing people above, then you probably want Front Ported, rather than Rear Ported Speakers.

So, this was just off the top of my head, but you need to secure the speaker, so four vertical 2"x2" boards, fastened to the inside of these at precisely the width of the speakers 1"x3" horizontal boards. Push the speaker between the horizontal board and screw through the board into the speaker. I would suggest penetrating the speaker no more than about 3/8" to 5/8".

I'm assuming you are familiar with Dimensional Lumber? A 2"x2" is the rough size, the finished size you buy in the store is 1.5"x1.5", equally the true size of a 1"x3" would be 3/4"x 2.5". Though for you it is probably in millimeters. But these are standard sized lumber.

Though ingenuity is always the key.

Steve/bluewizard

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Why not use proper in ceiling speakers? Conventional speakers are designed to work in free space and are not going to sound good inside a ceiling. An in ceiling speaker is designed to be installed in a ceiling so will work much better.
    The conventional speaker will interact with the ceiling/void/struts etc. which will reduce sound quality. A speaker does not sound good in a cabinet but enclosed as you plan to do is probably worse than that. Just buy the correct speaker for the task you want.

6. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you both for replying, still need a way of achieving what I set out to do without damaging the speakers.

I would have got in-ceiling speakers originally had I known what I would end up needing to do but that is out of the question.

These are front ported speakers (smaller than bookshelf).

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    Specifically what speakers do you have? That might give us a clue as to how to mount them.

Steve/bluewizard

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I still think you should quit while you are ahead with this and get some in ceiling speakers. Sometimes it is better to start again than plough ahead trying to make the wrong choice work. It is never going to sound great and you will then end up changing to in ceiling speakers at some point. Better to do it right in the first place.

9. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tannoy 5.1 speakers.

10. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    We need brand and model?

Are these big speaker, small speakers, ...details?

Steve/bluewizard

11. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  12. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    IMHO, waste of time and energy putting these speakers IN the ceiling. Better off fitting them to brackets, or invest in some decent in-ceiling speakers

13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    These are tiny speaker, and probably the lowest cost of any speakers made by Tannoy.

Satellite Dimensions(HxWxD): 140 x 97 x 95mm (5.51" x 3.82" x 3.74”)

The Satellite speakers have a 3" woofer with response down to 140hz.

It might have some value to have the wiring in place in the ceiling and you can certainly place these speakers in the ceiling, just don't expect much from them.

The tiny Subwoofer is only capable of response down to 45hz at -6db. You can find common bookshelf speakers that go that low.

Given that they are plastic speakers, perhaps running a screw into them is not such a good idea. I'm not sure I can give you an answer without actually holding the speakers in my hand so I can see what the options are.

Again, while you are able, there is probably real value in getting the wiring in place. And yes, these speakers do work, and they are cheap, so they work well for what they cost, but they don't cost much.

Likely there is a way you can accomplish what you want, I'm just not sure what that way is.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Perhaps others will have some ideas.

Steve/bluewizard

14. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi,

If you are considering small satellite speakers with a subwoofer, then I very strongly suggest the Cambridge Audio Minx Min Series - the new versions are the Min12 & Min22. Get a decent sub that can go up to 150hz e.g. XTZ 99W10.16, SVS SB1000/PB1000 & you will have a really outstanding sub/sat system.

I have a Min21/Min20 set up & it sounds just incredible for it's diminutive size. The satellites are small & discrete enough to be very discrete & easily mounted. I have mounted mine on the ceiling & walls & they still look fairly unobstrusive compared to most regular box speakers. These will be a country mile better than the very cheap Tannoys you are looking at but then the set up will cost you more - the price to be paid for aesthetics & trying to get good sound from a small package & you are far more likely to keep them for a much longer time rather than upgrading later.

Will they sound better than a full size floor stander - no, physics cannot be beat but for their size & style of speaker, they are amongst the very best out there.

I am fully with the others - trying to fit non in-ceiling speakers actually in the ceiling is usually a very bad idea. I think I know why you want to as I have also considered the similar in the past - for a sort of seamless sort of flush, invisible look but it will look way worse than you probably currently imagine.

If you really must have speakers in the ceiling, then strictly stick to speakers designed for that.

Suave!