Best way to listen to music...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by buddy13, Jan 12, 2012.

1. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also got this setup:

- Yamaha 671 7.1ch amp
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 fronts
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10CM center
    - Wharfedale Diamond DFS surrounds

Normally I use CD's or ipod as source for my music. I listen to CD's in pure direct mode (2ch. stereo) and to ipod in enhanced mode. If I were to add a subwoofer would it be more satisfying to listen to music in 2.1 Channel mode or would the bass simply overshadow every other frequency?

How do you listen to music normally 2ch or 2.1 ch? Want to hear your opinions :thumbsup:...

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Since your speakers are pretty good full range speakers then a sub is not essential with music. That said a well set up sub should blend in with your current speakers and not be noticeable as a separate speaker i.e. as the bass response of the speakers rolls off the sub should be set to roll in (so if you did a spl across the whole frequency you aim for no peaks or troughs but a flat constant level). With it set like that the bass should not overpower everything else. A lot of people have issues with subs with music because they have the sub level set too high so it does overpower everything. The benefit of using a sub should be that you can take some of the load of your 10.6s and this should create a clearer mid bass/top end.
    What music do you listen too? If you like a lot of bass heavy stuff then a sub is going to probably add a lot to your enjoyment.

3. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per always your replies are very helpful! So thanks :smashin:....

I normally do not listen to anything crazy...just some generic stuff (pink floyd, fleetwood mac, nirvana, coldplay, the killers etc...) at times I do enjopy some korn, black sabbath, ramstein :D etc...

I think I'll audition some subs in 2.1 mode but I think your reply pretty much put my mind to rest.

Also I have really grown to enjoy how nice the Yam 671 + Wharf 10.6 sound together. On my first audition I though the 10.6 sounded too warm (laid back) but now I think that the really sound nice for my tastes! It's almost a night/day difference :eek:....