Best Way To Install A Second Sky Box

mrtuft

Standard Member
I wonder if anyone out there can provide any help with the following:

I currently have Sky+ connected in my living room. I have now been offered a second-hand Sky Box (think it's just the old style box) and I would like to connect it to my TV in the bedroom.

I don't want to pay the £10 per month multi-room and I am happy to only have access to the Free To Air channels if that's the case.

Is it possible to connect this box up myself directly to the Sky Dish (outside of my bedroom window), or is it best to get an expert in to install it? If in can be a self install, what type of cable do I need to link it to the LNB?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

tomd84

Novice Member
I wonder if anyone out there can provide any help with the following:

I currently have Sky+ connected in my living room. I have now been offered a second-hand Sky Box (think it's just the old style box) and I would like to connect it to my TV in the bedroom.

I don't want to pay the £10 per month multi-room and I am happy to only have access to the Free To Air channels if that's the case.

Is it possible to connect this box up myself directly to the Sky Dish (outside of my bedroom window), or is it best to get an expert in to install it? If in can be a self install, what type of cable do I need to link it to the LNB?

Cheers! :thumbsup:
Hi, to attach it to your SKY dish you will need a Quad LNB, but if you have SKY+ is it very likely that you have this all ready, in that case you will just need to run the cable from the dish to the box and plug it in! you might also have to ask for a free to view card to some of the channels

tomd84

Novice Member
Cool! Cheers for that. I know i'm a dumbass, but what type of cable is it I require?
You can use any type of coaxial cable (like tv areails and stuff) but i got one that was for sat's from B&Q and i would highly recommend getting the one that is made for digital satilittes becuase it wont degrade your signal as much

SteveBM

Cool! Cheers for that. I know i'm a dumbass, but what type of cable is it I require?
You'll pay through the nose at a DIY shop for this sort of cable. Compare the prices online first

Take a look on EBay - Something like this.... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZcable-guyz

I recently did a self install running just one cable from my dish to a 2nd hand sky box. Having done it, I now need to replace this with a run ofdual "shotgun" cable as the family have decided to upgrade my upgrade to a Sky+ box with multiroom :rolleyes: You might want to consider running shotgun so you're futureproofed should you wish to put a Sky+ box in future.

If you don't fancy EBay, take a look at Satcure http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm

I'm no good at DIY, but even I managed this! Make sure the F-Connectors into the LNB and Sky Box are tighten up with pliers, and well insulated with tape at the dish end.

Good luck

mrtuft

Standard Member
Thanks for all of your help on this. I now have my FreeSat viewing card & a nice long length of 'shotgun' cable & i'm pretty much ready to go, albeit I need some self-almagamating tape.

I have a couple of other quick questions if anyone can help though. Before I go plugging the cables into the LNB, is there anything I need to do, i.e. removing the LNB first, or switching off my already installed Sky Box etc.

Also, is there anything I need to be extra careful of in case I fudge anything up that would then involve paying for someone to come out & fix it?

Cheers in advance !!!

jrisch

Novice Member
I don't know if you need to, but I would recommend unplugging your current satbox as it provides power to the LNB even in standby. I wouldn't advise removing the LNB, but connect it in situ as you may well disturb the angle to the satellite. It is very sensitive. Prepare your cables in advance. Consider using Satcures rubber boots for the connection to the LNB, it avoids you using self amalgamating tape at the top of a ladder (thanks Sam Radford for that advice), trying to stretch it and wrap it in a confined space.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom