• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best way to increase speed on my PC upstairs

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I've just had PlusNet fibre installed and speedtests show 65Mbps downstairs connected to the router but upstairs where my PC is connected via homeplugs I'm getting about 40Mbps tops and usually less. Obviously the homeplugs are a bottleneck but it's not really an option running an Ethernet cable from the router to my PC which is upstairs at the opposite side of the house. What's the best option so I can make the most of my fibre connection upstairs? Would a wireless N adaptor give a better speed than the homeplugs especially with a Wi-Fi extender halfway (currently have a Netgear WN3000RP on the landing upstairs that tablets / phones etc connect to). Is the only way to achieve 65Mbps upstairs going to be by hardwiring cos it's gonna be a major pita to do that , might just have to live with the 40Mbps which after all isn't exactly slow let's face it :)

cjed

Prominent Member
If you really can't run an ethernet cable, Homeplugs are probably your best bet. Which models are you using at the moment ? Are they mounted in wall sockets as recommended ? Do you have more than a single pair ?
Your WiFi Extender is already reducing your available WiFi bandwidth by 50%, so it's extremly unlikely that will give better throughput to clients upstairs.

Remember that WiFi and Homeplug networks are both of the "only one device can talk at once" type, the more devices on those networks the worse overall bandwidth becomes. You can improve matters a little by using multiple bands or multiple Access Points for WiFi (each band is independant, and if you can spead devices across different bands and APs that will improve overall throughput).

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
So a router like the Asus Rt-N66U might help? The homeplugs I'm currently using are tp-link 500Mbps ones , they actually seem to sync at around 80MBps with a signal quality of 20-40% so not great and yes they are both plugged into the socket not an extension.

Cheers

cjed

Prominent Member
A dual-band router might help as long as you can move some of your WiFi devices onto the 5GHz band. However, the 5GHz band doesn't penetrate walls/floors etc. as well as the 2.4GHz band, so best to have those clients near to the router.

RoyE

Novice Member
Agree with cjed that Homeplugs are your best bet - no guarantees 5GHz would help. But your homeplug signal quality/sync speed is really poor. If you plugged direct into sockets at both ends then possibly your house wiring is not up to the job, in which case even Homeplug 1000 or Gigabit adapters probably wouldn't help.

However, you may just have interference on your circuit - are either of the adapters plugged into a double power socket with other kit running from the socket next to it? If so, make sure the other kit runs off a surge protected extension (or remove it) as this can prevent electrical interference limiting the neighbouring homeplug.

Also worth testing the adapter upstairs in different rooms (use a laptop) as room wiring quality can and does vary - if one is better then run cable from that room to where you want it.

Nuclear test option - unplug everything in the house apart from router/homeplugs and see how much speed improves upstairs - if a big improvement, add back devices gradually to work out if one in particular is causing a lot of interference. If you find one, either fit a surge protector to it or keep it unplugged when not in use (if feasible).
Ps 40Mbps really isn't that bad, wish I had that problem ;-)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Just an update, I moved the homeplug from the office where my PC is to the socket on the landing (10ft away as the crow flies) and ran a 10 metre ethernet cable from it to my PC (needed it that long to route it under carpet along skirting boards etc) and the sync speed increased from about 100Mbps to 280Mbps and speedtest is now giving me 66Mbps which is about what I'd expect from my fibre connection :) Well chuffed

RoyE

Novice Member
sync speed increased from about 100Mbps to 280Mbps and speedtest is now giving me 66Mbps which is about what I'd expect from my fibre connection Well chuffed

Perhaps it was the extra house wiring from landing to the office that was slowing it down, could be that the office was in fact the last room on the upstairs circuit so it had to go through every other room upstairs first to reach it... Thanks for update - glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom