1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to hook up the Xbox for best sound!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by funkedup, Nov 25, 2004.

1. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hiya guys i've just recently bought a new Xbox and LCD TV

The Tv is a 27" Widescreen Logik LCD.

This has VGA, Componant, RGB Scart and Svideo inputs!!

I have just got the Advanced Scart Cable so i have the optical output. I have a pal Xbox hence why i bought the Scart and not the componant (even though my TV supports that) as i would need to mod it which is something i'm putting hold on as Xbox live are blocking peeps now with bigger HD's and if i modded my Xbox that would be one thing i would do!!

Anyway I will also be using my Xbox as a DVD player too. I'm planning on getting a Logitech Z680 surround sound set up to use with the TV and Xbox. I will probably plug the TV into Z680 using the subwoofer and audio outputs with normal phono plugs (unless there is a better way) and hook the Xbox to the Z680 using the optical input.

Does this sound a good way or is there a better way to get excellent pure digital "the dog's gonad's" sound?? I want it to be really good and not some half arsed setup!!

Cheers
    Funked

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The optical connection is the way to go for XBOX sound as you'll then be able to get the full Dolby Digital 5.1 experience.

John

3. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cool thanks Johndon. So if i use the Logitech Z680 to decode the sound (as it has a dolby digital decoder and its THX certified) will that be the best way to go or are there other decoders which i should look at??

Hope you guys can help
    Funked

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Can't say I've seen the Logitech so can't comment on that but any AV amplifier these days could be used - I've currently got my XBOX connected to an Arcam AVR300 and before that a Yamaha Amp.

John

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    So long as your amp as an optical in and can play dolby digital it should sound great.

6. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Games do indeed sound excellent when you use a av amplifier.
    I am using the Microsoft hidef kit (from Lik Sang) and the sound goes into my Denon 3802 amp.

I would imagine it would sound very good on the Logitech setup you are considering buying.

Drphibes

7. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cool Cheers for the responces!!

I've just got the Advance scart so i now have an optical output. Would have gone componant but my Xbox is Pal and i need to get it unlocked and with Xbox live blocking people going to wait i think till theres a way around it!!

Anyway instead of the Logitech i have been offered this from a mate for £200

Yamaha RX-V350 with wharfdale moviestar 60 5.1 speakers.

What do you guys think?? Would this be better than the Logitech. I also want to watch DVD's and have my TV sound going through a suround set up so not sure which set up to go for!!

Any ideas??

Funked..