1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to get TV programs up in bedroom

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rookies, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    As you all know I just brough myself a lovely Sharp LCD.

Now I need to find out the best way to get sky + viewing up in my bedroom and also being able to control from the bedroom too. I like it be easy to set up and no hassle.

Any ideas?

2. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a thing called "TV Link"

It allows you to watch sky in another room and you can even change channels with a Sky remote. I have had one for a few years now, works a treat.

Most places sell it, I saw one just the other day in Comet.

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Is the quialty good on this? have you got a distribution amplifier for it or just the magic eye?

4. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

I use a Labgear MRX 270 remote extenders and it works very well and requires just connection via a coax lead for both picture and IR control.

The MRX 270 has a 4 way RF distribution amplifier. I feed to RF output from my Freeview/VCR/DVD into it so these are all available in up to 4 different rooms. The use of an distribution amplifier actually improved picture quality over the passive setup that I previously used. Each room when has an IR magic eye (similar but I believe not compatible with the ones supplied with Sky) that plugs into the aerial lead going to the TV. Attached to the Freeview box, VCR etc is an IR transmitter that repeats the IR commands received in each room by the magic eyes. As I say, it works very well and if you have a clean RF signal (as you would expect from that generated from a Freeview/Sat box/VCR etc), the picture is more than acceptable for use with LCDs.

The distribution amplifier for the MRX270 is powered by the base unit at the TV end so requires no additional wiring. If you use an existing distribution amplifier, it either needs to be compatible with the magic eye system or a bypass lead used.

From what I recalled, cost is about £70 for the 4 output amplifier. Versions without the amplifier are cheaper. This includes 1 magic eye and a pair of IR stickers to control up to 2 devices (it can control up to 4 devices with an additions pair of stickers). You obviously need an IR remote for each room that you intend to watch TV in. The only other gotcha is that the wall sockets for the aerial connector need to be of the non isolated variety. If you are wiring from scratch, threse are easy to obtain, but of you are using existing wiring, you may need to change some of the sockets. Most DVD players do not have an RF Output so it may be necessary to use a RF modulator to convert the DVD output to RF.

If you use Sky, some of this functionality is already built into the Sky box, but it does not have the ability to send and control other devices such as VCR/DVD. The use of a powered distribution amplifier should also provide a better quality output in the remote rooms.

I feel that this gives a much better picture than wireless transmitters - I bought one once and immediately returned it as the quality was unacceptable.

-Ian

6. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    This looks fab. where did you get yours from can it only be got from the mail order?

7. katman

katman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rookies,

Take a look at my KAT5 units http://www.kat5.tv/modules.html

They will allow you to send S-Video and Stereo to your new LCD screen and will also allow you control your source equipment.

Any modulated solution will give a picture that at best is comparable to Composite Video and the audio will only be mono.

KAT5 units are available from Laser Business Systems http://www.laser.com and LetsAutomate http://www.letsautomate.com

Hope that helps

Regards

Keith
    www.kat5.tv

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I got mine direct from a professional TV installer. Can't remember where or the name. I think I got the stockest direct from Labgear so there may be a retailler near you.

Of course, if you want to do it properly, you run HDMI and a distribution amplifier but that is not cost effective at the moment. And I am sure that proper CAT5 solutions using IP will probably be the more main stream way forward as these can leverage existing wired/sireless infrastructure.

Keith, your unit looks great too - seen similar elsewhere which does RGB and component too. I have CAT5 in the house but it all runs through hubs, routers and switches so I guess these units are not compatible with these. Alternatively, is there something similar that runs over coax? Also, don't let the advert Police get you as unless you are a paying advertiser, you cannot promote your products within forums.

9. katman

katman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,
    KAT5 doesnt use ethernet, just the physical medium of CAT5 cable as is the same with other similar products.

Oops :oops: Sorry.

First post despite being a member for a couple of years. Will just leave it upto other people to mention in future. The reason I originally signed up was that someone contacted me after seeing my units mentioned on the forums.

Wont do it again.

Regards

Keith

10. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Sorry misread thread title, thought I might see ways of getting it up in the bedroom............. :rotfl: !