Best way to get Sky+ ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mattyboy_W, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay so I've decided to get Sky+. The next question is what's the best way to arrange it. I place the order with Sky but should I get them also to perform the full installation. I hear so many bad reports about cheap installations with wires run all around the house. Is it best to arrange a separate installation of the dish and cable ? Which dish and digibox are the best ? Does the Sky box have to be linked to the telephone ?

Sorry to ask so many questions but it would be good to know what it is the best way of installing Sky+. I have invested a lot of money in a home theater system and want to make sure that I get a top quality picture from Sky.

2. DORSETAV

DORSETAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

read my thread SKY + Installation problems..............be prepared !

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you want the subsidised price, you have to agree to have the box connected to the phone line.

If I was doing this myself, I would buy a box from an Ebay seller, and get an aerial contractor to install it. That way, at least if things went wrong, I would have control over the situation and not Sky.

4. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't look like people are impressed by Sky engineers. If I can find a local installer myself can I insist on Sky using them to install the equipment ?

5. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    No.
    Its either Sky all the way or nothing, as far as they are concernd.

I had Sky+ installed 3 weeks ago, and he was great!

Now on a seperate occasion, my terrestrial aerial has fallen down ...so I have to get some1 to put that back up .. or just take it off completely!?? :confused:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's the luck of the draw. When I upgraded to Sky digital, the guy who did the install was brilliant. He was an independent contractor who sub-contracted for Sky. His cabling work was excellent, and he couldn't have been more helpful. When I upgraded to Sky+, I got an engineer who worked for Sky. He seemed to be under more pressure, and although he did a passable job, he wasn't quite as good.

If you choose your own contractor, at least you will have some comeback if things don't work out well. Unless the contractor wrecked your property, or left you will a totally unworkable system, Sky don't want to know.

The other advantage of the DIY approach is that you get the choice of which make of Sky+ box you get, and that's important.