Best way to get Prog Scan?

Oasis-GasPanic

Established Member
Reaction score
Just recieved my new Samsung plasma today and noticed dvd through interlaced component was good but had lot's of "jaggies". So I tried a pal prog scan image feed through vga from a laptop and WOW, the image was great.

So my question is; what is the best way to get pal/ntsc progressive?

(a) buy a player like the arcam DV88+

or

(b) feed an interlaced signal from my Wharfedal M5 through a box like the BRITE-VIEW de-interlacer.

Regards,

Assuming equal quality of deinterlacer, (and progresive scan players are not all made equal) it's always better to have the processor in the DVD player rather than outside it.

An external processor will need to redigitise the signal for deinterlacing - followed by a further DA conversion.

The 2 extra conversions cause the loss of some resolution - usually 10 - 30 TVL and any noise in the input signal to the processor may be digitised tending to make the processors job a little tougher.

In the player, the processor works on digital interlaced video from the MPEG decoders, without any intermediate analogue conversions.

HTH
Mark

Not all DVD player work as Mark says. Some actually take the analogue component signal coming off the mpeg chipset and then AtoD it back to do the processing. They act like a standard off board video processor but have advantage of short signal runs to the processing chipset.

It is also possible to get modified DVD players with digital video outputs whcih can be fed to scalers with digital video inputs. These would then de-interlace and scale in digital domain outputing in either digital or analogue format.

So, the answer to your question is it depends on the dvd player and the external proceesor. In your example I'd be with Mark on going with DV88...

Gordon

The Arcam is a great player, I wish I had one, but I use the Harman Kardon DVD25 which has PAL/NTSC prog scan and its a lot cheaper, around £350 from Hifibitz.

AL

Thanks everyone,
I think I'm gonna go for the DV88+ beuase if I get another processing box lip sync is only going to get worse than it already is (well on sky anyway).

Thanks again,

Originally posted by Big_AL007
The Arcam is a great player, I wish I had one, but I use the Harman Kardon DVD25 which has PAL/NTSC prog scan and its a lot cheaper, around £350 from Hifibitz.
Ah, does the DVD25 support Prog PAL? I was looking at the manual from the HK website the other day and it stated ProgScan from NTSC discs only. If it does support Prog PAL, I may well have found my next player...

_

Gordon - is that the case that the DV27 PS board redigitises analogue component

I was under the impression that it took digital component from the decoder.

Wonder how to find out the truth???

Mark

The DV27 does not redigitise component video to get its PS video output - it takes a BT656 type signal directly from the output of the Zoran MPEG processor.

All PS Arcam DVD players work by using a digital video feed to the appropriate PS engine, which is the correct way of doing it.

John Dawon (Arcam)

Originally posted by John Dawson
The DV27 does not redigitise component video to get its PS video output - it takes a BT656 type signal directly from the output of the Zoran MPEG processor.
All PS Arcam DVD players work by using a digital video feed to the appropriate PS engine, which is the correct way of doing it.

Thanks for settling that John - thought that was the case. Dont think it would have stopped me upgrading to the DV27 but its good to know it does the thing right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom