1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to get more than one hd device connected to plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sparkymarky, Dec 3, 2004.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As HD seems to be evolving as the way forward, I have been thinking ahead as how everything will be connected.

Most people will have a Plasma, SKY, dvd player and a games console.

What will be the best way to connect all these to get Hi-def from them all (inc SKY)??

Will it be daisychaining each device or some sort of HDMI box with many inputs and one output so that you only have to rig up one wire to a plasma? Indeed does such a way exist at the moment with regard to inputting all hdmi devices into one device (scaler perhaps??)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HDMI and DVi switches are available but scalers are great and very useful for geting the best out of SD material on an HD screen

3. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    thanks for the reply HD,

What's the cheapest decent scaler, any idea?

and do they accept hdmi inputs??

Seen some for around £200 from keene.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £200 dont buy a scaler mate dont waste your oney.... £500 for an Iscan ultra is where they start £800 Lumagen £900 Iscan HD £1000 Iscan HD+ and up and up!!!

5. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thats what i thought. I would never have bought one at £200 don't worry, i was looking at more like £800.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    sparkymarky

I think you need to separate HD from HDCP.

HD (in its various formats) can be delivered Digitally (DVI or HDMI) or Analogue (YUV).

Many current generation AV Receivers now include YUV Component Video switching that will switch SD and HD signals - though some do HD better than others.

If you don't have an AV Receiver with YUV switching and require SD and HD YUV switching you can add in an external switcher - see http://www.zektor.com/hds42/index.htm

HD delivered over a Digital connection will most likely include HDCP encryption and until multiple HDMI inputs and outputs start to appear on AV Receivers and TV's you will require a multiple Input HDCP complaint Digital switcher - see http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.htm

If you have a mixture of SD and HD sources (some Analogue some Digital) then a Video Processor that can bring all of these disparate signals together and output them in an optimal format for your HDMI or DVI with HDCP equipped Display device will be ideal - see http://www.lumagen.com/new_products.htm

So lots of fun will ensue as we start to glue together SD and HD systems that are HDCP compliant.

Best regards

Joe

7. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep thanks for the comments. This thread was really about the last topic you touch on Joe, namely the coming together of different formats (both sd and hd) and outputting them in optimal form for a display device (namely plasma in my case).

I was just wondering how easy this would be and whether it was possible from technology that is already available?

i.e, Would any of the lumagens in the link cater for providing the optimal output from all devices i listed at the start of the thread? (so best output possible from a standard skybox (when Hd is transmitted via HDMI (hdcp), a 720p signal from xbox (hi-def modded obviously this is non hdcp), and high def from dvd player via hdmi connection)

Or am i missing the point? sorry i may be trying to figure a way to best buy for the future and am I thinking about it the wrong way? or do you follow what i mean?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    sparymarky

The Lumagen VisionHDP and VisionPro HDP will do pretty much everything you require NOW and as these devices are Firmware upgradeable there will be ongoing support as and when some surprise or other appears from left field as someone comes out with a box or two that break away from the expected 'norm'.

Best regards

Joe

9. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    excellent thanks Joe