best way to get into the home automation mkt?

gavinjvaughan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I dont know if anyone can help me but here gos...........

I am an electrician looking to get into the A/V and home automation market.It all started with a home automation course I went on a couple of months ago with a view to transforming the house we are about to move into.I think their is great potential and would welcome the opportunity to work for somebody who is involved in this area.My labour rates will be cheap.....as the proviso being I will be picking your brains!!

I am based near Derby and prepared to travel......

Any suggestions will be more than welcome

thks
gavin

ME 2

Gavin,

I am based in London and I would also be very intersted in brushing up my skills in this field. currently my skills are at hobby /amateur level.

There is an organisation or soomething to that effect called CEDIA but there does not seem to be doing much in UK, last time I looked.
If anybody has more up-to-date info, please advise.

Even if we don't get to work together, and especially as we are not likely to become competition for each other, let's try to share info to build our skills

Could you, please forward to me any info you acquire, including details of the course you did as I may wish to do it mysself as well.

Many thanks,

Regards,
Calin

Hi Gavin,

We are based in London and I might be able to assist you. I am requiring somebody to do a cable install. Please visit my website and drop me a line if this is appropriate

blimey CEdia is quite big in the k and there are loads of jobs in london and southeast derby is bt trickier but look at the Cedia mebers liting for your area there are some high end companies up that way IIRC

CEDIA organise an enormous amount of training courses every June at their UK expo.

However you need experience as much as training so I would go with your initial plan and try to find somebody you can apprentice for a couple years until you've got some realistic experience of how these things can go wildy wrong!!!

(p.s. not from me lol)

Hi guys ...thks for all your responses.....

Calin.There is a cedia expo in london ..dates June 25th-June28th.They have loads of courses for Installers 1 & 2 also on the design side.However these are not cheap,especially for non cedia members(you can only be a cedia member if you have successfully passed one of the above exams,or work for a cedia qualified firm which makes it slightly more prohibitive for the likes of you & me!!),Meanwhile I have read or reading 2 good books on this area

Smart Homes fro Dummies..Daniel Briere/Pat Hurley

HTI+ & Cedia Installer 1...Ron Gilster/Helen Heneveld

I now feel I can shoot the **** with the best of em....just dont ask me to physically do a job!!

Horney Dragon...thks for the input on the jobs front.There are no cedia members in Derbyshire....which is prob even more reason to get into this area!
I may just call the chap in Sheffield.But Thks again & the message you sent.Cheers

And for anybody out there who is reading this thread and forget how it started...Give us a Job!!Cheap labour offered in return for your experience.I can read drawings, pull cables,put in back boxes,terminate some of them(co-axial..not done cat5) and make a half decent cup of tea!!

The really worrying this is there are a lot of "installers" who have read such books and think that experience doesn't really matter. After all, it's just a bunch of cables that plug into one another isn't it? What could possibly go wrong...

Gavin,

You should have an email from me.

thank you to mr Hornydragon!

regards,
Jonathan

anyone here going to cedia next month ???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom