Quantcast

"Best" way to extend Sky+ cables?

Bernie Steak

Novice Member
I know there's debate over if you should even attempt this or not (signal loss), but I'm wondering (as I already have some suitable cable).

Would I be better of using the cable I have, four new ends, and two f connector to f connecters?

These X 4 for the two new bits of cable: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&doy=28m9D

These x 2 for linking them together with the current cable: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&doy=28m9D

(about £5 in totall)

OR, should I just buy a couple of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=QQ79L&doy=28m9&source=15

(about £6 for two)

Any views most welcome! Love this place. :D

Thanks

italianninja

Standard Member
I was in the same predicament last week. So I called sky and they wanted 65 quid to do it, when the guy came he wouldnt go under the floor where I wanted the cable to run, so it was hidden, so I gave him a few quid, cancelled the sky job and he did it, and the cable is where I want it. I asked him whilst he was here if its true about the loss of quality when the cable is extended and he said it is, the cable should be one straight cable from dish to box.

Bernie Steak

Novice Member
I know that some people don't think it's a good idea, but for about £6 I'm prepared to try it first before paying to get a new LONG lot of cable installed!

Just looking for views/experience on which method might work best.

A

andyAV

I went from standard ct63 twin stuff installed by sky (about 5-10m) to twin runs of ct100 at ~20m. Whilst I had the chance I bolted a short length of the ct100 to the end of the ct63 before doing the full rewire to get a look at quality using standard F connectors as in your link. IIRC it made only very slight almost imperceptable differences to picture quality.

Still I did the job properly and rewired all the way to the LNB with the ct100 because I didn't want to join two 10-15m extensions on to the ct63 and risk finding it lost quality and required a full rewire anyhow. The full ct100 gives better signal strength over a cable 2-3 times the length of the original ct63 so I'm happy with the effort expended.

That all said - If I were you I'd spend the £6 and see, given you need such a short extension.

Andy

Bernie Steak

Novice Member
Going to give it a shot today, I actually feel a fool. The cable was longer than I needed, and I over trimmed it (it was fine in the old unit, but my new unit requires neater cable runs!).

:rolleyes:

Bernie Steak

Novice Member
Went the £6 route (figured my time is worth more than £1) and it's perfect. The picture is the same as before, and the signal bars are all as they were before the extension.

:cool:

james_19742000

Novice Member
So teh Maplin extension lead, will accept the connector that goes into the back of the sky box and extend it to go into the back of the sky box when I move it to the other side of the room then, hence f sicket to f plug then?? Just want to make sure before I order it, thats all.

Thanks, James

Bernie Steak

Novice Member
Yes it does. At one end it's like the back of the Sky box, at the other it's like the end of the cable that's in there at the moment (plug/socket).

Sorry for the slow reply!

:)

james_19742000

Novice Member
No worry about slow reply, had to go out to such wonderful places as Mothercare and a carpet shop, spent a load of money, and for what I spent today I could of bought myself a rather nice bedroom setup!!!! Oh well..............

theo cupier

Novice Member
james_19742000 said:
So teh Maplin extension lead, will accept the connector that goes into the back of the sky box and extend it to go into the back of the sky box when I move it to the other side of the room then, hence f sicket to f plug then?? Just want to make sure before I order it, thats all.

Thanks, James
Is this just for Sky+ or also for regular Sky cables? I've just had a reshuffle in my living room and the cable's not long enough for where I want the Sky box.

Are these the chaps I'd need
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=QQ79L&doy=28m9&source=15