1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to drive Kef Ref front end

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dolby, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Dolby

Dolby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advise needed on driving a KEF reference front end consisting of Ref 2.2 and 100 center.

I am considering an Arcam A85 to drive the front 2 speakers and using a marantz or arcam receiver to provide the 5.1 processing.

Alternatively,an av pre-amp like the cyrus AV8 or rotel 1066 an for a short while use my existing amp HK AVR80 as a power amp.

Any suggestion on the above or on anything else which could yeild better result, would much appreciated.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Kefs should provide quite a decent sounding front system,but you havent mentioned what rears you'll be using or which sub.
    The other thing that would be useful is what sort of budget you're working to.....the best solution if you have lots of cash is a separate AV preamp,and power amps to match,or on a lower budget,a well specced AV receiver,and all of the major brands(Denon,Arcam,Pioneer etc)should have something to fit your needs.
    Having used a lash-up for a while with an AV receiver powering the rears,and it's pre-outs feeding power amps for the front channels,it's an ugly compromise at best,from my experience.

3. Dolby

Dolby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alexs2,
    The sub is a REL 100E and the rears are Kef Q1's.

I am also considering buying a secondhand Arcam 10 int/power with Dave module.
    I will not be adding more speakers to the setup so 5.1 will be all I need for the short term. I am not that fussed about PLII.

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Take a look at the stereo amp here http://users.classicfm.net/williamshart/jlhampli.htm I'm getting a bit like a stuck record on this forum recommending this but it's such a good amp for the money you wont believe it. I paid the deposit to audition this amp and couldn't believe how good it was (at the time I was using Audiolab 8000MX monoblocs for the surrounds). I subsequently purchased the monobloc version with the SE upgrade and can attest that they are on a par with the best of Naim's amps, well worth taking a look at.