Best way to convince the better half

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Claus, May 4, 2004.

1. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine has a fantastic theory on how to convince your better half into getting a plasma:

-Where I live, buying a flat costs around 2000 pounds per square meter.
    -A normal CRT television takes up around 1,5 square meter, which equals 3000 pounds.
    -throw out the television, hang a 3000 pounds plasma on the wall.
    -You then have gained 1,5 square meters floorspace, which equals the price of the plasma.

Hence - getting a plasma is for FREE!

Funny!

C

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've always found the best way is to start wearing them down over a period of time. Start gradually, show her how fantastic the pic quality is in John Lewis for instance - then approach the space saving issue "just think how good the lounge will look' etc

If all else fails - offer to buy her something of equivilant value (like a AV amp / new DVD that sort of thing)

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The picture quality on John Lewis stuff is far from fantastic!

4. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldn't take her to JL, they don't bother with set ups. House of Fraser set theirs up quite well. I took mine to JL TV section when she was almost ready and this set me back a month. You can use JL trips as justification for your subsequent cable expenditure. You want believe how rubish panny and pio can look in the loving hands of highly motivated JL stuff.

Wearing down is the best tactics.

The space saving argument helps but it wasn't the decisive factor (it's only really appreciated ex-post)

A bit of dirty tactics:
    It also helps if your current TV keeps getting progressively worse. Swap your usual cable for smth cheap and nasty (preferably with the power cable wrapped around it a fre times for extra interference) just before EastEnders (don't forget to change it back before footie). Then explain to her that she'd hardly get horrible stuff like this on new cutting edge plasma.
    Give jerk to your SKY dish, so that your SKY feed gets all pixelated and crap. Only use this if you are planning to get the SKY engineer to come around later to rallign it for best signal (which is always a good idea)

A final advice: do you research, and make sure that all the bits get bought in one go or no further then a week apart, because you won't have a say in spending your cash for a long time after that.

5. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buy one, hide the credit card statement when it comes through (!) and when the other half notices this new gadget and is about to let all hell loose, pop on Holby City, a bit of CSI or whatever tickles her fancy and she'll soon warm to seeing her favourite personalities in plasma/lcd glory ;)

6. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My tv has started flickering. I joyously pointed this out to the other half and she said "You're loving it aren't you?", but a new lcd tv is on the way once the prices drop a wee bit more.

I just missed out on the skybuy deal for the JVC 26", and so now I'm waiting for more to come in stock or anyone else to match it. Or if the the Thomson 27" went down to about £1100 I'd maybe go for that.

7. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: sorry!

calscot - what are those speakers you have in your setup (just taken a look at your website!). I want something nice for my fronts as I've just bought a new setup myself but have no speakers and LOVE yours :D

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lameway, my fronts are the Eltax Liberty 5+ from Richer Sounds. They got a 5 star review from What Hifi and when I tested them against a pair of missions at a similar price, I much prefered the sound of them.

They are £120 here.

BTW I've removed the front grills as my cats keep wanting to scratch them... :rotfl:

Ironically, I've filled them with kitty litter instead of shot or sand so maybe they just need to go to the loo. :laugh: