Best way to Convert / Transfer MiniDV Tapes to Computer

John7

First thing you're going to need is a suitable player to play them back with - time to search E Bay for some second hand cameras........

John7

I think Hi-8 cameras are backwards compatible with std 8mm...

Have to check that tho

jkpenterprise

Novice Member
I have a Sony DCR-PC5 MininDV Digital Camera that works perfectly, however I am struggling to move the digital video to my Windows10 PC using a Firewire to USB cable. Apparently Windows 10 does not support this capability. Anyone have suggestions how I can accomplish this task?

jont

I have a Sony DCR-PC5 MininDV Digital Camera that works perfectly, however I am struggling to move the digital video to my Windows10 PC using a Firewire to USB cable. Apparently Windows 10 does not support this capability. Anyone have suggestions how I can accomplish this task?
Ask a friendly Mac-owner to do it for you ? ... PM me if you want help :)

Tumi

Novice Member
What are you struggling with?..the software you are using or the hardware is not being detected by Windows?
I converted all my miniDV tapes to digital,
I have a Cannon Z85 miniDV connected to a Windows 10 PC via firewire (my PC has a fireware port), i use PowerDirector 10 to convert to mpg then handbrake to .mp4.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
There's no such thing as a firewire to usb cable. The 2 data formats are not compatible. Even usb C won't work to the best of my knowledge.

A mac is the way to go as Thunderbolt does still support the legacy connection.

TQYROS

Novice Member
I have tried to follow the advice here. I am transferring from a JVC DVp9 to a brand new Dell desktop. The tapes play flawlessly into my TV by S/AV. The Dell is new, so the HDD is pristine still. I installed a PCIe card to take firewire. I have connected the DV unit to the PC with a new Firewire cable. I am using WinDV.
However, when I try to record the display on Win DV has bursts of small coloured squares appear across the picture. There are periods without the small coloured squares. If I pause the the playback but keep recording then the squares keep appearing, so I do not think this is due to a dirty tape or head. If I disconnect the network then the squares remain, so I do not think I have brusts coming in that way.

I tried cleaning the heads - no improvement.

Any idea as to the cause of the squares?
And how can I get rid of them?
I could resort to an analogue recording, but that seems a big compromise.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210513_215454.jpg
    20210513_215454.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 20

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom