Best way to convert DV to Computer

Raj007

Novice Member
Afternoon all,

I recently found my old Samsung DV Camcorder, that I found in my attic. In the box I also found a bunch of tapes too.
I already have a firewire cable and port on PC but never used it.

My point is how do I convert it with minimal quality loss?

Thanks

Raj007

Novice Member
Thanks, the quality was sharp!!

Any idea how to compress them down?

I have saved some tapes and now it all totals up to 40gigs

sep8001

You could convert them to dvd but you would lose quality, may be best to buy a portable drive and copy onto there.

oneman

You really shouldn't lose much quality converting to DVD, I use Freemake video convertor (get v3.1.x) and its literally a few clicks. Note that DVD-R can degrade over time depending how they are stored.

40GB really isn't much, as suggested above get an external HDD and then get another another one and make a second copy.

Raj007

Novice Member
You really shouldn't lose much quality converting to DVD, I use Freemake video convertor (get v3.1.x) and its literally a few clicks. Note that DVD-R can degrade over time depending how they are stored.

40GB really isn't much, as suggested above get an external HDD and then get another another one and make a second copy.
I don't like DVD, but thanks anyway.

next010

Distinguished Member
Install Handbrake
  • import file
  • select preset->general and for quality pick HQ 480p (NTSC) or 576p (PAL) to match source captured video.
  • hit start encode

That will put out a high quality compressed version of the videos, if you want to keep the sources USB HDDs with large capacity are dirt cheap these days.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom