Best way to connect

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by barneybelly, Mar 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a small thread to see if anybody out there can help.
    i have a panasonic 32" widescreen and with it came a free video. Now this video is supposed to be Q-link with the TV but i am finding it extremely frustrating connecting the whole lot (including Cable digital And a DVD).
    I recently had a new aerial fitted in the house but the tv fails to find any channels on auto setup (keeps telling me to plug the aerial in....which it is!!!)
    The TV manual and the video manual have different ways of setting up the whole lot (including digital amp).
    So i was wondering if anybody knows the best way to set up the whole lot so i can get the best out of my set-up.
    I have scarts for the lot but the TV only has 2 scarts but i use the s video cable for the dvd.
    So i need to know the best way for the TV, Video & cable digital box (2 scarts plus aerial connections). Also if i am doing anything wrong with the Q link. I apologise if it all sounds a bit vague but please ask any questions that will hopefully help me.
    If i dont get the Q link to work i will probably contact the place i bought it from.
    Hope to hear from anyone soon.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would connect like this....

DVD AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    CABLE AV1 > DVD AV2 (LOOP)
    CABLE AV2 > VIDEO AV2
    VIDEO AV1 > TV AV2

DVD > AMP COAXIAL/OPTICAL
    TV AUDIO OUT L/R > AMP AUDIO IN L/R

When you have it all connected you will have to go in to the DVD menu and select RGB output, then do the same on the digibox.

I believe Q-Link only works when connected via scart, try the connections above and give it another try.

3. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for that, will give it a try.
    Not just now though as am on my way to watch the mighty reds v The minnows, Barcelona (who are they?).

Appreciate your quick response and will let u know of outcome.

Thanks

Dave

4. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bob, Just properly looked at what you suggested and i have one problem....the dvd player only has one scart lead!!! So what other suggestions do u have??

Also, i seem to be having a problem with the aerials...i think i am confusing myself but the cable box has a tv & antenna socket.

The video has an RF/ANT in & out and the TV has the usual aerial connection.
    How should i rig it up so i can record from normal terrestrial tv (eg 1-5) and also have a video channel to record from cable via video plus as i cant seem to figure it all out as i cant get a picture from the tv alone without going to an av channel which is difficult to record via a timer!!!!
    Am i a bit thick or is it all designed to frustrate the new home cinema guy like myself.
    All i want to do is please the missus by letting her watch cable (friends,sex and the city, etc) while i am taping the football, etc from normal terrestrial tv via the main aerial.
    Were am i going wrong???
    Not having problems with the sound at all but at the moment the way i have it set-up is that when watching cable via av i have a faint shadow on the pic and very discreet lines.......whats all that about too????
    Hope u can help me out,

Your frustratingly,
    Dave

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    usual response copied and pasted below. Adapt it accordingly

Various ways to connect depending on what you think is acceptable.

option 1 - RGB for both DVD and digibox but need to record via the RF.
    Audio carried from TV to Amp and DVD to amp (TV passes audio from vcr and
    digibox)

DVD > Digibox VCR scart ( use scart lead, set DVD to output RGB)
    Digibox > TV (use scart lead into RGB scart socket)
    Video > TV (scart lead into composite scart socket - Don't use an expensive cable, it would be wasted)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    TV > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

-----------------------------------------

Option 2 - RGB for digibox and s-video for DVD. Allows recording via the scart. Audio the same as above

DVD > TV (scart into s-video scart)
    Digibox > TV (scart into RGB scart)
    Digibox > VCR (composite scart - Don't use expensive cable for this one)

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    ------------------------------------------

Option 3 - TV doesn't pass audio or doesn't pass it with decent quality. Will require manual switching between sources. Use video connections as option 1 or 2.

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on
    your available connections)
    VCR > Amp (using 2x phono connection)
    Digibox > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    Option 2 i think will be for you, so therefore connect.

DVD AV1 > TV AV 2 (S-VIDEO)
    CABLE AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    CABLE AV2 > VCR AV2
    This means you will have to watch your videos through RF channel, normally VCR is tuned to channels 0 or 8.

OR

Connect splitter to AV2, then connect,

DVD AV1 > TV AV2 (S-VIDEO)
    CABLE AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    CABLE AV2 > VCR AV2
    VCR AV1 > SPLITTER ON TV AV2

Forget all about the TV aerial, with digital cable digital and analogue signals are available to you, so you can watch digital and record analogue and vise-versa, i.e wife watches friends while you can record a channel 1-5.

Connect in coming cable to digibox RF/IN and then the RF/OUT to your TV, no need for the RF connection to the VCR if you are using the splitter, recording via scart. When recording digital select AV2 on the VCR.

If you don't use the splitter connect,
    Incoming cable to digibox RF/IN then digibox RF/OUT > VCR RF/IN then VCR RF/OUT > TV.
    Then you will have to tune the VCR to either channel 0/8, then when recording select channel 0/8.

Hopefully Doubledoom will comfirm the above, so that you know you have the best connections.

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Option 2 would be the easiest one.

DVD > TV (scart into s-video scart)
    Digital > TV (scart into RGB scart)
    Digital > VCR (composite scart - Don't use expensive cable for this one)

The Digital box > VCR works both ways so no need to connect the vcr directly to the tv.