1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect sub to Marantz PM7200

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Cookiedds, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Cookiedds

Cookiedds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to add a subwoofer into my stereo system to extend the base where my Canton Karat L 100 speakers fall off. This system will be purely for stereo music listening.

I am planning on purchasing a Marantz PM7200 integrated amplifier and want to know my connection options. Are to prosessor outputs on the PM7200 volume controlled so they can feed the subwoofer and control the subs volume along with the Karat speakers?

Would it be better to hook the sub to the high (speaker) level outputs on the PM7200 in parallel with the Canton Karats (stacked banana plugs going to sub and speakers) or would it be better to connect the sub to the high (speaker) level outputs on the PM7200 and then connect the Cantons to the high (speaker) level outputs on the subwoofer thus utilizing the subwoofers built in crossover?

I want to know the best connection alternatives since this will affect my purchase (some subs don't have high (speaker level) outputs, some don't even have high level inputs.

Thanks for helping a confused newbie. I've read all the posts concerning subwoofer connection to stereo systems and am still in the dark.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the dark days before Dolby Digital amps there were no dedicated subwoofer sockets therefore no low level connections.

I had my REL sub connected directly to the speaker terminals on the amp alonside the speaker cables themselves so that both sub and speakers were being fed the same signal. The gain control on the sub itself would be used to adjust the sub's volume until it matched that of the main speakers.

I have never been a fan of connecting the speakers to the sub (even though I have never heard a decent setup connected that way) as it is adding an unnecessary link to the audio chain which means there is more potential for degradation of the sound