1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect Sky+ to Panny Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Glenn Keen, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Sky+ being installed next weekend and was wondering what's the best way to connect it to my Panny 4TH-42PWD4 plasma?

At the momeny I'm connecting my DVD player by component connection and my video by the composite ones.

My Denon 10SE amp will take 2 different Component inputs so I was wondering if i should get a RGB scart to component lead and pipe both the Sky+ and DVD into my amp then out to the Plasma.

I could connect the Sky box to the RGB inputs on the Plasma but i beleive that you have to change the settings on the plasma and can only use the component OR RGB inputs!

Any info would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Glenn.

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You've got to remember that you've got two RGB inputs on your plasma screen! You can go in to the VGA (the small computer input with 15 pins) or the RGBHV input. It is the later that is shared with component (YUV).

If you're using the component input for your DVD player, you can still go via an RGB to Plasma VGA unit in to the VGA input for Sky. However, if you want to use your A/V amp as a video switch, you could opt for the new RGB to Component (YUV) converter. Either one will give you an excellent picture, but component does allows for more zoom modes.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    J.S. Technology

3. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, I am dying to get my hands on the reverse, a YUV-RGB SCART converter for my Japanese Gamecube. Is this something you're considering marketing in the future?

C

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The reverse is sold by CPC of Preston. T 08701202530.

AV07176 Component to RGB& Sync Transcoder. £ 75.95 +VAT.

I've not looked at it yet, but CPC normally stock non-descript items. There's ok, but not fantastic.

All the best,

John.

5. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sky+ also has s-video out which would probably work out cheaper , i would like to know if anyone has tried both ways and which is best as i have sky+ and am about to buy a panny plasma.

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Only problem with this is if (as Glenn does) you have a video going into the composite connection. Not sure what the technical term for it is but you can only use S-Video OR Composite, not both. Something to do with them being on the same board or something I recall reading!!

Kelvin.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either use an RGB to VGA convertor or a Pro-V and use the plasma PC input for Sky and the component input for DVD. Either way will give you excellent results..

Andy

8. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No question, the RGB - VGA connection is best, and as the man says, doesn't conflict with the composite connection.

9. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice.

So where would i get a RGB - VGA connection from?

Can I get them from a local store or do I have to order one, and if so what's the chance I'll get one by Saturday?

Thanks again,
    Glenn.

10. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    You can get them from John's website at:

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com

he's doing next day delivery via Royal mail now ... so go to it !!

11. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And just close your eyes when you see the price list, it's worth it!

12. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I see what you mean about the price! the joys of AV connections!:)

I think I'll try using the S-VHS and see what I think. If not happy I'll fork out ffor RCA-VGA.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Glenn.

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You don't buy a Ferrari and put remolds on! Go for the VGA or Component converter. S-Video is good, but for your screen I'd recommend going for the other products.

As for the prices, I'm building these in what is considered to be low volumes. Plasmas etc., are built in much higher volumes. I'm also building these in the UK, where everything is more expensive but also better. I'm not importing junk from some far off place - but building quality products in the UK.

Also remember the R&D that is put in to each device. Anybody that watches the A/V market will surely have seen that I bring out a product and a couple of other companies bring out similar (but not nearly as good) several months down the line! Innovation, not imitation.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi symanski,

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I appreciate that good quality workmanship and components is going to cost, and I have no problem with that.

The only reason I haven't ordered one yet is that I've spent a lot of money this month so I think I'll still with SVHS conection until next month when I'll be able o spend a bit more! :)

Keep up the good work designing & building these inter-connections, we all appreciate that someone has take the time to do it. :)

Glenn.