1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect sky plus to z2?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Richiero, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Richiero

Richiero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this game and out of my depth. I bought a scart to s video yesterday but that appears black and white. I can't find a scart to DVI.

Does that leave s video? Is it any good?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi and welcome :hiya:

What sort of AV amp do you use, and what other sources do you have? If you just have Sky + then you could use a RGB to YUV (component) converter, thus taking component cables to the Z2, which will give you a considerably better image than S-video. I you have multiple sources then you can do this via your amp (dependent upon what it is), feeding your sources into there and then one set of component cables into the Z2. There are otherways of course, but as far as Sky + is concerned, the component option is (IMHO :) ) about as good as you can get, before you get into purchasing external scalers etc.

3. Richiero

Richiero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. I use either sky plus or my pc. I haven't got an amp at all. As I say, out of my depth!!!

I bought it really to use on my pc which is high spec with 5.1 speakers. I rather foolishly thought I could hook these up to sky somehow, but it appears not.

I apologise for sullying the forum with such ineptitude.

Ta for your help, I'm off to Maplin at lunch for RGB to component.

Then I'll have to think about sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB to Component does work well on the Z2, using that myself for Sky, but only because I use an AV-Receiver for component switching. Can you not get a Scart <> VGA adapator, then use a VGA to DVI (or do you already own the VGA to DVI to drive the Z2 already?), would be a cheaper option than the 70 quid for RGB->YUV and another 30 quid for YUV cables.

Oh, re: S-Video, don't bother unless you're really stuck, I've tried it (albiet on a 10m cable) - picture quality sucked. That's what sent me down the RBG-YUV route.

5. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual for the Z2 mentions a SCART to DVI lead, which would allow RGB connection. I've never seen a third-party one though either, so if you want one you would have to go through a Sanyo dealer, and I dare say it'd be expense.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Why not get a TV card for your PC, download a free program called Dscaler and display Sky from that. Picture quality would be much better that any cable connecting your digibox directly to your projector.

Install the TV card and plug the Sky box into the card by s-video cable. You can also take audio from sky to the TV card. Download and install dscaler and once you set it up for your TV card, that's it. I had a very expensive TV card but could not get rid of stutters. I bought a cheap card (€40) in Aldi a month ago and now everything is perfect, picture quality is'nt too far off DVD quality

Do a search on the PC forum here for dscaler for loads more info

Good luck

7. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0