1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect Sky box to panasonic pd50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ims3ola, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ims3ola

ims3ola
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, i've just managed to pick up a 32pd50 and I was wondering what's the best way to connect my sky box to it. Do I just use a regular £10 scart cable that i've always been using or is there another way to get better pic quality.

Thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Is it a Sky or Sky+ box?

Technically the best signal you can get from either is RGB which is carried via scart - though it may be worth investing in a slightly better scart cable to get best performance.

If you have Sky+ however it may be worth using s.video instead - technically it is a slightly lesser picture than RGB but both the PD50 and PD30 had known issues with RGB on occasions and I know my set looks better with s.video than RGB scart - though mine goes via my AV received which upconverts to component

3. ims3ola

ims3ola
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply astaroth. It's just a normal sky box. So my best bet is to get a fairly decent scart cable. How much would you recommend spending on one? £20, £30? Is there any one that you'd recommend?

Thanks

4. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky through RGB isn't great, certainly not crap though!

ask these guys what scart they recommend!

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    There is a cable forum who would be the best guys to ask really but the QED P21 scart cable gets good reviews (won the What HiFi 2004 award) and can be got for a little under £30 online.

A final option would be to get a RGB->Component convertor (though this is the most expensive option) JS Technology appears to be the most favoured on this site but costs in the region of £130 and you would then need to by a component cable if you do not already have one (plus probably should still upgrade the scart). I have never used this as I am happy with the upconversion of svideo to component using my AVR but there are many on these forums who have bought one and are very happy with it.