1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect SCART Sources?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DragonQ, May 7, 2005.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything I have uses RGB SCART:

- Freeview Box
    - Gamecube
    - DVD Player

I want to get a 17" Widescreen LCD TV to replace my aging 14" CRT (which shifts any external picture to the left, which can only be fixed by the Gamecube, not the DVD Player or Digibox). However, the only one that I've found that actually has a SCART Socket in the Relisys 1730 - and they're not even clear if it's RGB Enabled or not. However, I've only ever seen one place sell it. But many places sell it's predecessor, the 1720 (exactly the same, but with no SCART Socket. It does, however, have Component Inputs - something the 1730 doesn't have...).

So, I'm thinking of getting the 1720 (there are loads on eBay), but then what do I do about my stuff? I can easily get a Digital Component Cable for my GC, but the Digibox and DVD Player only have analogue output. Since it only has the following connections:

- VGA
    - Component
    - Composite RCA
    - R/F
    - S-Video

I was wondering if there's any adaptor which can send an RGB Scart Signal into a VGA Connector? That way, I can shove them all into my 4-Way Scart Switcher, then shove that into the VGA Port. Does such a thing exist? Where can I get it from?

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Dell 17" LCD TV (W-1700) and it has all the inputs you would ever need...
    - SCART (with RGB)
    - Component
    - Composite
    - S-video
    - VGA
    - DVI
    and of course antenna.

Scart signals could be converted to VGA, but only when the VGA input accepts TV-standard sync frequencies and interlacing. Often it doesn't.
    I would get a TV with SCART input, especially when you have a SCART switcher.

3. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have looked at that model, but a review I read (ZDNet I believe) didn't mention SCART Sockets....and it also said that dark areas had a green tint. They also mentioned that using it as a PC Monitor resulted in quite a bad picture....

After looking at Dell's specifications, it says the Viewing angle is +/- 88Degrees... I assume this means 176Degrees Total? In which case, it can be seen from practically anywhere?!

It looks like a very nice TV/Monitor indeed, and it's prectically the same price as the RLT1720 at about £300....BUT most UK websites that sell it don't mention the SCART Socket - this has me worried since the DELL Website said it's not on all models - only Eurpoean ones, so maybe these sites have imported the non-Scart models from USA?

May I ask where you bought yours from?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  5. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Dell W-1700 directly from Dell.
    It was ordered in the Netherlands but they ship from Ireland.
    The European model is different from the US model. Not only w.r.t. the SCART but also many other specs. Make sure you don't get a US model.

I have not really used it in PC mode. I use it as a bedroom TV.
    It is clearly inferior to my Philips 9986 in many aspects, but for this money and screensize it is not too bad.

There are some firmware bugs. Maybe they have been resolved in current production models, maybe not. They are not insurmountable.

Mainly:
    - When a SCART RGB source is connected all the time and the TV powers up from standby, sometimes the caption EXT remains on the screen. Switching teletext on and off removes it.
    - Even less frequently: the picture in RGB mode is slightly blurred. This gets corrected by switching to normal R/F mode and back to SCART again.
    - There is no automatic screen aspect ratio switching, you will have to do that manually using a 4-mode cycle button on the remote.
    - Colored backgrounds do not work correctly in teletext.
    - When it is displaying SCART RGB, teletext does not work. But when you go to teletext mode, the remote keys go to text mode without any indication on the screen and you may think the TV is stuck until you press the text button again and go back to tv mode.

I have a fully wired SCART cable from the livingroom to the bedroom, which is connected to a Vivanco AV Control 5 switch in the livingroom. This is a 5-way SCART switch that switches a selected input to all other channels as outputs, also in RGB.
    Connected to that switch I have a Philips 9986, the Dell W-1700 and 3 sources.
    This means I have RGB feed to the Dell all the time, usually from a Dream DM-7000.

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    A cheap component enabled DVD player and switch will cost very little, and not be a bodge (plus the picture from prog scan component is sooooooo worth it)
    Likewise, an RGB-s-video converter will cost relatively little. (£35 from Maplins?)
    Also, your DVD player should have an S-video output which you can utilise with ease if u don't want to upgrade it.