Best way to connect ps3 to the onkyo

gperkins1973

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am getting my PS3 delivered this morning. What is the best way to connect it to a Plasma and Onkyo 876 amp.

cheers

Graham

Hi there,

I am getting my PS3 delivered this morning. What is the best way to connect it to a Plasma and Onkyo 876 amp.

cheers

Graham

I have the Onkyo 606 and personaly I have HDMI from PS3 to amp then HDMI again from amp to Plasma. Obviously means that you have to have the amp on every time you use the PS3, but why wouldn't you??? ;)

In terms of sound settings on the PS3 - I use LPCM so I get the best (IMO) sound for both games and Blu-Ray. You'll see plenty of debate on here though about the reletive benefits of LPCM and bitstream. People generally prefer bitstream wherever possible so that the amp can do what it's designed to do and decode the signal itself. Trouble is the PS3 can't output HD sound (TrueHD, DTS HD) over bitstream so the options are really:

1. Use LPCM and get the best sound available from whatever source (game, Blu-Ray etc.) but the PS3 decodes rather than the amp so it's argued may not be quite as good.

2. Use bitstream and get the amp to decode but lose HD sound from Blu-Rays (just get standard Dolby Ditigal 5.1, DTS 5.1 etc.)

3. Swtich between them. Set to bitstream but change to LPCM whenever you watch a blu-ray with HD sound.

As I say - I personally prefer to leave it at LPCM and it sounds great to me but I'm sure you'll get plenty of people saying different. Give it a try and see if you can see any difference in sound quality, and if you can decide if it's enough to bother with switchin ght esettings back and forth :smashin:

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. So if I watch a blu ray film and it can play DTS master audio the PS3 still won't decode it in that format. If that is the case what format would it play it in.

cheers

Graham

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. So if I watch a blu ray film and it can play DTS master audio the PS3 still won't decode it in that format. If that is the case what format would it play it in.

cheers

Graham

no ...
the ps3 will decode it ......
as feaviolp said use LPCM over hdmi
and you will get hi-def sound ...

just one thing....

your/our amp will not show up the turehd or dts-ma sign ,on the front your amp ...
it will up as multich....

so if your think.. it's not right sound your getting, dont worry you are :smashin:

andrew

Last edited:
Hi there,

cheers

Graham

If you set the PS3 the output LPCM it will decode HD sound and send to the amp fine. Trouble is some people don't like the PS3 decoding since the amp is designed for the purpose so likely makes a better job of it. The amp won't display "DTS HD" or anything like that - it'll just say "Multi Ch" wich means it's getting an already decoded multi channel signat and it's just spraying the output the the required channels as instructed.

If you set it to bitstream the amp will decode instead of the PS3 .So it now does display "DTS" or whatever, but it woun't be able to output the HD signals. In that case it will output the signal that it is capable of, so revert to standard DTS or Dolby Digital.

My advice - set to LPCM and get the benefit of all sound sources. As I say - I'm just preparing you for the conflicting advice :smashin:

just one thing gperkins1973...
your going to need two hdmi cables...
one from the ps3 to the amp and
one from the amp to the tv....

andrew

Hi guys,

Thanks for the heads up!

cheers

Graham

Tick all of them, I have and whatever the disc is recorded in the amp will automatically play it in that particular format

pjb7251

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom