1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect Pionner 656

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stimpy, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've come to the point where I need to retire my old Sony 525 DVD player.
    The pioneer seems to fit the bill perfectly, i.e. componant out (for LG plasma). Plays standard CDs fairly well (old 525 is not the best anyway) and is future proof (DVD-A, etc)
    As it has a built in decoder should I be using this to decode the DD and DTS tracks and use the analoge outs to my aging marantz 5000 AV amp or should I use the digital out for DD/DTS and the analoge for DVD-A, and SACD.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It depends ;)

Let's start with the simple bit as dvda & sacd can only go through the analogue connection, that's a no brainer.

DD & DTS - connect analogue and digital connections and switch from one to the other on your amp & see which sounds best - if the dvd player has better DACs than the amp then the analogue connection will sound better. Of course the down side of the analogue connections is that you'll miss out on Bass management and any DSPs that your amp may have.

3. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    May be worth taking a look at the 565, wich seems to be replacing the 656. the new model is pretty much the same spec as the 656 but £100 or so cheaper (going for £209-220 multiregion) :hiya: