1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect my new VIERA

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Wily Boy, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Wily Boy

Wily Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all, After much deliberation and reading how high you guys regard the VIERA I shall be taking delivery in a few days, I would like your advice on the best way to connect it to my existing kit, I Have Sky+ and a fairly basic Sony DVD (330?) which I cannot swap yet as it was a prezzie from the wife a few weeks ago, Bless her!, this only has composite and a scart, although the scart can output s video or rgb. Also I have a Onkyo TSDX575 that will switch S video,if needed, will this give me any improvements? Many thanks in advance.

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    There's probably better ways to do it but I'd set sky+ and the dvd to output RGB, find out which of the scart sockets on the viera accept rgb and connect that way. I think two of the scarts on that set are wired to accept RGB and, as a general rule, RGB usually provides a better image than s-vid.

Sorry but don't know what the Onkyo kit is. Apologies if this ignorance makes my earlier suggestion totally ludicrous.

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    For a quick solution with pretty good results in terms of PQ:

Sky+ ---> AV1 via RGB SCART
    Onkyo TSDX575 ---> AV2 via S-video SCART
    Sony DVD ---> AV4 via RGB SCART

Then when you get any equipment that can output component you can hook that up to AV4 via the component inputs.

I usually find that RGB gives a better picture than S-Video but the real test is to try them and see. I guess if you'll be watching your Onkyo more than the Sony you could swap them round so that the Sony connects via S-video and the Onkyo via RGB.

S.

4. Wily Boy

Wily Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, although I should have mentioned that the onkyo is an AV amp, but you have solved my problem by saying that RGB is better quaility than S video. If I do output RGB will i need any extra cables to listen to the on-board speakers ie 2 sets of phono, or will sound go through the scart? so i dont always need to run 5.1.