1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to connect my dvd (advice please)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by adymartin, Mar 23, 2005.

1. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a technics svcd290 system, i like it a lot, the only problem i have is that it only has a s video and a yellow lead (is this composite?) output.
    I am currently connected to my pwd7 using the yellow video lead into a scart adaptor on my plasma. would the s video give me any picture improvements? should i purchase a new terminal board rather than use the scart board and adaptor?
    to be honest, the picture is pretty good anyway, but if it can be better, then any advice would be appreciated.

NO, i don't want a new dvd system, i just want advice on how to get the best out of the one i have.

cheers.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    s-video will better than composite ady

3. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, thought as much, better go get me a s video to scart lead then.

4. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ady, I have connected my DVD player to my PW7 (via Mediabox) using SCART, S-Video and Component...all good quality leads and I have to say that as of yet (initial impressions) I cannot see a lot of difference between the three.
    I am now using Component as all the lads here say that this is the best of the three.
    But I think the differences are really based on how much attention to detail you posess, but a good rule would be to always go with Component if possible, then S-Video and Composite as a last resort. :smashin:

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    but the media box must also make a difference in that scenario

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in my experience, the differences between Component, RGB and S-video aren't dramatic in general.

But all of these are night and day better than composite! So definitely spend a few quid on that s-video cable adymartin...all should become clear, quite literally :) (just look at the DVD player's on-screen menu to see what youve been missing).

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do you not see a lot of cross hatched patterns in the picture on composite. It's normally pretty obtrusive. PQ with s-video will be leagues ahead. In spite of your words at the end of your post, I still think you must be mad to connect £1500 worth of display to a DVD with no proper outputs for it. It's not as if a component output DVD player costs a fortune these days, I'm not going all daft and high end on you, it's less than £100.