Best way to connect my current system with new TV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sv1984, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sv1984

sv1984
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Not sure if this is right place to post or not...

But basicaly i shall be buying in next few weeks a new tv PANASONIC TH-50PZ700

What i wanted to know was i currently have Denon 2805 Amp, Sky plus box and a DVD recorder a panny one which only has basic connections not HD or soo

Which sound and vidoe cables should be best for this system?

At present i have scart for video and optical from sky plus to amp and optical from dvd to amp

and for Tv i have red and white cables(sorry not sure the correct terminology for this)

But with this setup i dont get the OSD for my amp...so now i want to hence want to change the cabling and make it less as possible if possible

hope you guys get what i mean

and thanks in advance

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If your DVD player has component output (red/blue/green connections) also known as YpBpR or YUV, then connect these cables from the DVD player to the amp and run a second set of component cables to the TV. You will probably need to assign the component input to the DVD. This will pass video only but will also give you access to the amp's OSD on the TV and you will therefore still require the optical cable for the audio. The Sky+ box will stay as it is i.e. connected directly via SCART to the TV and to the amp via optical. You could get a QED RGB SCART to component converter box (around £50 new) and then run another component cable to the amp. The amp would then switch the component inputs and have one single set of component cables going to the TV.

TBH, I would be looking at getting a HD source to take advantage of that big TV e.g. Sky HD. In light of the format war heating up again, I don't think I could recommend a HDDVD player right now but a PS3 should be a safe bet as it gives you a cracking upscaling DVD player, media streamer, internet browser and BluRay player. Oh, and it plays games as well!

I don't know what audio connections the Panny TV has, it will either be the same analogue RCA phono cables you are using with your current TV (red/white) or another optical cable. I don't know how many optical inputs the 2805 has, it should enough but if it doesn't you can get splitters or converters.

Let us know how you get on.

3. sv1984

sv1984
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thier, i am still looking into getting a blu ray player, but you mentioned a internet browswer? can you tell me what you mean by that please?

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you get a bluray player I would seriously either wait for the profile issues to be sorted out or get the ps3. Read this article here which explains it in laymans terms. The PS3 is the only bluray player I would buy right now.

By internet broswer, I meant it can browse (surf) the internet. You will need a keyboard and mouse though, I have a wireless keysonic one for mine that looks like a thin laptop keyboard and is ideal. LINK