best way to connect jumper cables to spring clips?

jeo170395

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi,

bought some speakers the other day, then realised they have separate inputs for hi and lo and they didn't come with jumpers. I didn't really want to spend the extra on a bi-amp set up and was wondering what the best way to fit jumper cables is? the speakers are technics sb-ch7 and they have spring clip connections. I've found a variety of adapters for spring clips, but I can't see how I'd attatch jumper cables to any of them.

any help would be appreciated :)

There is a manual here
Panasonic SC-CH7 Operating Instructions Manual (Page 8 of 61)
On page 8 the back of the unit the speakers came with has 4 connectors for each speaker and speaker cable with four separate cables in each.

All you need to do is run two speaker cables for each speaker from your amp/avr and connect one to Hi and one to Lo. This is bi-wiring not bi-amping. Just make sure that you wire positive(+) to positive and negative(-) to negative.

Diagram below
bwireoption2.gif

If you want jumpers then solid wire should do the trick. Bend the ends into little hooks so though the spring clips hold them in place they won't fall out when you release the spring clips to insert the speaker cable. Fuse wire springs to mind as it is solid, easy to bend and cheap to buy.

Last edited:
Just cut a little speaker cable and connect the 2 black and 2 red spring clips with that. So one spring clip will have 2 cables in it (one from amp and one from the jumper lead) and the other will just have the jumper lead cable.

Do your speakers have 5-way Binding Post (common speaker terminals)?

"Gold Binding Post Banana Jack Pair Extra Long Shaft with Solder Tabs" from www.parts-express.com!

"Speaker Terminal Cup Gold Insulated 5-Way Binding Post" from www.parts-express.com!

Hopefully, not this type -

"Speaker Wire Terminal Plate with 550 Hz High Pass Filter" from www.parts-express.com!

Here are my speakers, I simply soldered Ring Terminals on a short section of speaker wire -

i64-ring1as-jpg.302792

i62-term2as-jpg.302790

The nice thing about Ring Terminals is that they can't fall off.

Steve/bluewizard

hi,

the speakers are technics sb-ch7 and they have spring clip connections. I've found a variety of adapters for spring clips, but I can't see how I'd attatch jumper cables to any of them.

any help would be appreciated :)

BlueWizard they have those old fashioned and nasty spring clip connectors that have very little grip and just about enough room for lamp cord.

x421570150.3.jpg

One possibility is Speaker PIN Connectors -

Fisual Easy Fix Speaker Pins: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

On one connector pair you will have to double up on wire.

I can think of another options but it requires some soldering tools and skills. Essentially make a "Y" Cable. Cut a ring of insulation out of the main cable back about 5" from the end. Then solder an additional section of speaker wire about 6" long. Once securely soldered, cover the joint with heat-shrink tubing.

The other alternative is to use thinner wire that will allow you to double up on one of the connectors.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just do as PSM1 suggests. You will get a better connection using bare cable than connectors in this instance. :smashin:
However, these speakers were designed to work with the Dedicated Technics unit that had lower Power to the High Frequency drivers and Higher power to the low frequency drivers, so they will probably sound strange and very 'tinny' if used with a conventional 2 channel amplifier.
You will probably need to attenuate the High Frequency Drivers to get an even response.

Just do as PSM1 suggests. You will get a better connection using bare cable than connectors in this instance. :smashin:
However, these speakers were designed to work with the Dedicated Technics unit that had lower Power to the High Frequency drivers and Higher power to the low frequency drivers, so they will probably sound strange and very 'tinny' if used with a conventional 2 channel amplifier.
You will probably need to attenuate the High Frequency Drivers to get an even response.

Hmm, that's a shame. I think I'll have a play with them and see what I can do with them, but if not I'll just have to get rid of them.

Do you know if bi amping them with a crossover would produce a similar effect to the dedicated technics unit? or is it unlikely i'd be able to get a decent sound from them this way?

Bridging the 2 connections will put the speakers in parallel and the avr will see an impedance below 4 ohms. This could cause damage to the avr. As above those speakers are designed for a very specific system and us not going to be easy to integrate into a standard system. Personally I would ditch those speakers and get something else designed to be used with an avr.

Bridging the 2 connections will put the speakers in parallel and the avr will see an impedance below 4 ohms. This could cause damage to the avr. As above those speakers are designed for a very specific system and us not going to be easy to integrate into a standard system. Personally I would ditch those speakers and get something else designed to be used with an avr.
Thanks for the advice, i'll probably get rid of them then.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom