Best way to connect it all via hdmi or not?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by neilhunter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. neilhunter

neilhunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've put this here as I didn't know where the best place to post it was really, please move an accept my apologies if its in the wrong place.

My question is, for a few years now I've been running the sky and Xbox via separate hdmi the tv and audio running via optical cables when I've want to use the amp, through the hdmi to the TV when I've not wanted it loud etc.

Now with the purchase of ya new tv, (panasonic gt50) I'm wondering if I e got this connected properly? The amp has an hdmi out on it but I was reluctant to use it as I thought that ALL the audio would then be run through the amp, and the amp would have to be turned on at all times?

(Yamaha, the model no escapes me at the mo but was only a cheap Av package)

Do I have this wired correctly, or would you suggest doing it another way?

I can get the amp model when I get home from work but thought I'd ask?

2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    No sound should still get passed to the set, most TVs have an option in the sound menu that allows you to switch between AV(HDMI) and the TV's speakers.

3. neilhunter

neilhunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Scooby,

So basically (I know it'll be trial and error) I can write the Xbox via hdmi to the TV as normal and run an optical cable to the amp for the times when I want the surround sound games and for the TV, wire the sky hd box to the Yamaha amp input via hdmi then from the amp output to the tv via hdmi, and this would still allow audio and video to pass through even with the amp off?

And as you say, just change it on the TV when I want the surround on for movies etc? Or do I have this wrong?

(Thanks for the help btw)

4. neilhunter

neilhunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget this, after reading about the amp, it turns out it passes video only through the hdmi so I may as well connect it the way I had it. Thanks anyway.