Best way to connect GameCube to VPL10

C

corky

Hi,

Got my VPL10 and very happy with it. I wish to get the best possible picture for the GameCube or any other scart RGB device (video player, playstation etc) and there seems to be a few ways to do this - but which one? I have a Dreamcast running with a Dreamcast VGA box into the Projector via a VGA to 5 BNC's lead and the picture is amazing - would love the GameCube to be able to match this quality.

Options are as follows for GameCube:

RGB scart Lead from Cube to projector via J.S.Technology RGB to VGA Convertor

RGB scart lead from Cube to projector via J.S.Technology RGB to component convertor

Import a Japanese component cable for the GameCube and go straight into the projector

RGB scart lead from Cube to projector via a simple scart to component cable (5 bnc's).

Also there is the syncblaster - does this do the same job as the J.S.Technology RGB to VGA Convertor?

My guess is the J.S.Technology RGB to VGA Convertor would give me the best piture. The price of the unit would indicate that this box has some clever tricks up its sleeve but I have also read that any convertor causes loss of picture rather than improve it.

And finally there are Upscan convertors/video scalers - Seem expensive - does anyone use theese devices and have any recomendations?

As you can see I have searched around for a solution but i am totally confused - If only all hardware came with VGA outputs - I would be a happy chap. Any help would be great.

Is component inferior to Scart RGB in this instance?

Chris

Rgb to VGA unit will scale the picture for you. RGB to component will allow the projector to scale. Or not, if you can turn this off, my pj has this. How is the picture with TV, ie does it scale well? It's your call between these options, your pj may well scale better than the rgb to vga unit. There shouldn't be any serious difference in any other respect, they've both got the same data to start with.

Hi,

Thanks for that. Phoned around and after many discussions decided to get the official GameCube component cable. Picture is not on par with the Dreamcast and its VGA output but it is still pretty good. Will be trying out a Kramer VP-720DS scaler over the weekend (hopefully). It has a component input and looks to be excellent. I will post my thoughts on the unit after i have played with it.

cheers

Chris

Corky:

Only just came across your post so this might be a bit late. I could have made you up a custom VGA Cable for your Gamecube which offers a true RGB HV signal. However, due to the parts required, it's not cheap but the resultant image quality is superb.

The Cable would connect to the Digital Video port on the Gamecube and would be made with a standard D-Sub VGA Plug at the other end. If you wanted 5 BNC, you would have to use a female VGA to 5 BNC cable adaptor.

The main pupose for this cable is to allow Progressive Scan games on Import Cubes to be played on VGA monitors. Only Progressive Scan games will yield a picture though due to the fact that CRT monitors only sync to 31Khz signals. You can still use the cable, assuming your PJ will sync to a 15Khz interlaced VGA signal? I'm not too clued up on Projectors so you would have to check this yourself.

Check the link in my sig for details on the makup of the cable. I wrote those intrustions for an RGB Scart version of the cable for import machines, but it's not too much of a departure to make a VGA version of the cable.

Let me know if you are interested ;).

Hi there,

Your cable sounds great but have a few questions.

Will this work on the Panasonic Q (i cant see this being a problem).

My projector syncs from 15 khz so does this mean that I would be able to play non progressive games and see the bootup sequence using your cable.

Is the image given in progressive scan mode on par with the Dreamcast VGA box

Finally. How much and how long does it take you to make one of these cables.

Also as i have an official component cable can i send this to you for modification.

Cheers

Chris

Originally posted by corky
Hi there,

Your cable sounds great but have a few questions.

Will this work on the Panasonic Q (i cant see this being a problem).

Yes it will - however you will not be able to view DVD Movie playback via VGA. This is because the Q's DV port is completely independant to the DVD hardware inside.

My projector syncs from 15 khz so does this mean that I would be able to play non progressive games and see the bootup sequence using your cable.

It means exactly that. At 15Khz, you will be getting RGB HV (Interlaced).

Is the image given in progressive scan mode on par with the Dreamcast VGA box

In Progressive Scan mode, the image is even better than the Dreamcast's native VGA. I take it you have an import Cube or Q that will enable you to play in Progressive Scan?

Finally. How much and how long does it take you to make one of these cables.

It takes a week or two from the moment you order because I do not hold stock of the required parts. I only make the cables by request and order up what's needed when asked :). Prices sent via PM.

Also as i have an official component cable can i send this to you for modification.

I'm afraid not - the Component Cable is fine for RGB Scart but the VGA Cable requires the use of an official Nintendo D-Terminal cable. VGA requires two extra signals - HSync and VSync to be connected up within the cable. The Component cable only has 3 internal wires while the D-Terminal cable has 6. This means two of them can be re-wired internally for HSync and VSync.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my queeries. Have found instructions on how to build the VGA cable and I have a friend who is very into his electronics who will be doing the building of the cable for me. Just got to wait for the right cable to arrive. I will post my findings on this forum and I hope to put up some screen grabs of the progressive and non progressive modes so others can see the difference (something i have yet to find on the internet).

The Kramer VP-720DS scaler for those who are interested didn't work out for me personally. I could see no visable difference whether it was running at 640X480 or at 1600X1200. The factory settings produced a very washed out and blurry image but after a few tweeks with the settings (the kramer has quite a few!) I was able to get quite a good image out of the unit. At the end of the day it produced a flicker free image on a VGA monitor but I found that a better picture could be had with any connection using any TV. In the case of the Dreamcast the VGA box wins hands down.

Chris

No problem Chris - if you need any clarification on building the cable, don't hesitate to ask. Just make sure you use a Gamecube D-Terminal Cable instead of a Component Cable. If you have any trouble finding the correct resistors etc., let me know as I have tons of them :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom