1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect dvd player to lcd screen?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by WonkyEwok, Dec 12, 2004.

1. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've been lurking and reading up on lcd tvs, dvd players and how to connect. Phew there's a bit to take in :eek: . Could you please help me with:

Is it better to let the dvd (probably samsung dvd-hd945) or the screen (toshiba / hitachi probably) handle upscaling / progressive scan? E.g. how do I get the most information from off the disc and onto the screen?

The Hitachi 28ld5200, LG rz26LZ50 (and maybe others? - can't find details for the Toshiba 27wl46) will only take digital video at /60 as far as I can see. If I'm playing R2 discs (always /50?) would it be better to avoid digital/60 and instead send the signal at /50 via component or rgb scart, and let the tv scale and display it in /50 to avoid jerky movement from temporal interpolation? (My idea of jerkiness is the US masters golf, where the ball suddenly skips in mid flight due to differences in US/UK frame rate?)

Thanks !!!!

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It depends which has the better quality de-interlacing/scaling. But if you connect via an analogue connector it might be better to do it in the DVD player because the player sees the original digital source which is easier to interpret.

I think most screens that have digital connectors intended for connection to DVD players will handle 50Hz signals. The ones with HDMI certainly will (even though, in some cases, the manufacturers' marketing material doesn' t mention it explicitly). But beware screens that have DVI connectors only intended for computer connections - they may only be capable of 60Hz (and may not be HDCP compliant too).

James

3. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks James. I hadn't realised that the Hitachi is only dvi-d, not hdmi. In fact it doesn't even mention whether it does hdcp or not. I'll carry on looking.