Best way to connect consoles Sky HD to LCD and Onkyo AV REceiver...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Nemesis666, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Nemesis666

Nemesis666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi

I am just in the process of replacing my pionner plasma and ARcam AV REcevier with -

The Samsung LE46F86BDX
    Onkyo 905 AV REceiver

I also have Sky + HD, PS3 and Xbox Elite.

I already have the HSMI cable that came with the elite and was thinking all I need is 3 x good quality HDMI cables 1 that goes goes from SKY to the Onkyo, second that goes from PS3 to Onkyo and then connect the HDMI cable I have from Xbox to the Onkyo and the 3rd one I will buy will go from the Onkyo to the Samsung LCD???

IS the right/best way to achieve this?? IT will certainly reduce cables etc but I am not sure if all these boxes support audio over HDMI to or will I need to carry on using Optical for audio as well?

I had a similar set up with my plasma and arcam but becasue the HD from sky is component this goes straight to the pionner receiver box and the audio goes straight to the arcam I get noticable lip sync problems...

Will I still that with my proposed set up above using HDMI and/or using optic for audio if some of hte boxes dont support audio over hdmi???

Sorry its a lot to ask but having taken months to decide what to buyI suddely realised I have no idea what the best way to connect all this stuff is!!

Advice and comments really needed!!

Thanks

Darren

:lease:

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I'm pretty sure sky hd doesn't support audio via HDMI but the Elite and PS3 do, so you will need a separate optical lead for sky hd.

3. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    SkyHD will output stereo only on the hdmi. If you want 5.1 then yes you'll need an optical between the SkyHD box and the Onkyo as well.

This might well be the case for the PS3 and the XBOX?