Best way to connect Blu Ray, TV and Audio Home system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gavilav, Feb 8, 2009.

1. gavilav

gavilav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I am new to this forum, so apologies straight off for any ridiculous errors!

I have a Sony KDL 40V4000 Tv and an LG HT 302 SD Audio Home System and a Sky + box. At the moment they are all hooked up together (Sky running into the audio system and everything into the tv.)

Today I am looking at buying a blu ray player, but just wanted to see what else I need to be buying to hook everything up together properly. I have read some posts here already about people who have it all hooked up, but are not channeling 5.1 properly, or are "mixing" 2.0 through their speakers. To be honest, I don't really understand this, so any advice on what to buy and how to hook it up would be much appreciated. I am, as you have probably worked out, a real novice in this area!

I have not decided what blu ray player to buy just yet as am waiting to see what offers/discounts are available in store, however I am thinking that the Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player is a good one to go for in my price range.

Thanks!

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Welcome to the forum :)

What connections are available on the LG system i.e. does it have optical? Do you have a link for an online manual? I had a quick look on LG/Google and couldn't find it.

3. gavilav

gavilav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a link for a manual, and i can't find anything myself showing what the connections are. It's a fairly old system that I bought quite cheaply a while ago. I will try and have a look later and put down in detail what they are, or maybe even a picture or something.

Is it possible to connect the blu ray player direct to the LG system? I went ahead and bought the sony BD 350. Or will my option be to try and connect the tv to the speakers and run the sound that way. At the moment the sky box runs through the speakers and the dvd is part of the speaker system so i can have the sound on without the tv even turned on. But it is a pain suddenly having this upgrade in picture at the same time as a downgrade in sound.