1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to connect a PT-AE300 to a HTPC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by watty, May 3, 2003.

1. watty

watty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered on the best way to hook this upto a HTPC. I've the choice of VGA / DVI or s-video. I've read that DVI is best but the cables are only good for 7m. I need 10m which I think should be ok, has anyone tried this. Anyone got Powerstrip setup for this projector?

Cheers

Rich

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello & welcome :)

Bad news I'm afraid - the AE300 isn't really suitable for HCPC use. Sure, you'll get a picture, but 1:1 pixel mapping is not possible.

DVI is the best way to connect, followed by VGA. Forget s-video from a PC.

Progressive component is your best bet.

:smoke:

3. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the powerstrip settings in my setup database (see link below). Afaik, VGA gives better results on the Panny at this point.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No 1:1 though :( Not of great use IMO, but a starting point.

Why oh why did Panasonic not allow for this (even via VGA) like they did on the old AE100 :confused:

Again, loads give the DVI port on the 300 as a major plus reason for buying the AE300, but until DVI equipped players are available (not long now - already in the US), it's of no benefit.

Even then, HD material (WMP9 - T2 etc...) are a no go...

Pity :(

5. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Kramer,

I've noticed you've made this point on a few threads. Have you actually seen the AE300 on a HCPC or are you discounting using an HCPC because of the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping?

I completely accept that 1:1 mapping is important for maximising picture quality from HCPC, however I've played around with resolutions on my PC and pictures from DVD can look really sharp e.g. 1280 X 768 looks great to me. Maybe this is because the internal scaler works well, I dont know.

I'm sure 1:1 mapping would be an improvement (come on Panny, give us a firmware update soon) but that does not make the AE-300 completely unsuitable for HCPC use IMO.

Cheers,
    Tony.

6. watty

watty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, xander's site has loads of good info. I'll hook it up to both a DVD & PC so I've a choice. Shame bout the 1:1 mapping tho.

7. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would the A300 look like hooked up to a prog scan DVD player?
    Im looking at the Tosh 520, but am willing to spend around £300, the Tosh is only £200.
    Could I get a better player for the extra £100 im willing to spend?

8. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tend to agree with tonytigerrr. ..

I have just finished doing my setup (apart from the screen & centre speaker), and as far as I am concerned the picture quality at 1280x768 through DVI looks superb ....

This is my first PJ & HTPC setup ..... so I dont have any way of comparing with different setups , but I cant see how the picture could get much bettter. I understand that 1:1 mapping is important .. but it seems bloody good quality to me at the moment .....

Currently using TheatreTek decoders with Zoomplayer ... very impressive ....

Technically DVI should be better than Analogue VGA .. as It is a digital signal , but I may test VGA as well , to see if I can get near 1:1 mapping ....

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    nice to hear you're happy with it mate.:)

10. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tested VGA ... with the 1:1 mapping using powerstrip .....

The desktop looks nicer ... but to be honest I still prefer DVI @ 1280x768 ....to me it just looks better , DVD wise anyway .... and you dont get those ugly vertical bands ....

I will admit that edges on objects seem more jaggy with DVI .. but the picture is sharper ... (Toy Story 2 & Episode 2 were the test discs)

Center speaker coming tommorow ... screen left to 'make' ...

DOA3 at 80" ...... cant beat it really ....Halo was nice too .... as was Zelda ... and Metroid .....

my eyes hurt ...............