Best Way To Complement My Sky HD Box And PS3!??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by murtz, Sep 17, 2007.

1. murtz

murtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi all..

Im going to be getting a PS3 very soon.. and Ive already got a Sky HD box.

Whats the best way for me to use the PS3 AND Sky HD box without having to swap and change the HDMI cable everytime?

Ive read thnigs about HDMI splitter/switchers, using the component cable instead.. but it just all gets pretty confusing!

All I want is to have the best quality for both.. any help is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,167
    What TV are you using?

The answer could be :

1. Get a TV with two HDMI inputs
    2. Use a HDMI splitter
    3. Connect the PS3 up via HDMI and the SkyHD via component - although remember that component carries no audio :(

So, start with - what TV are you using? :thumbsup:

3. murtz

murtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ive got a Panasonic Viera Plasma (PVB500 I think)

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Assuming you're not going to go out and buy a new TV. If you're happy with having Sky on component then I would do that and connect the PS3 with HDMI. If you would rather have both on HDMI there are a number of HDMI switch boxes on the market both reasonably priced and expensive depending on your budget.

If you want a good quality switch box but don't want to pay too much I can recommend the Joytech Trilink HDMI switch box. I use it and can see no degredation in the signal quality. A lot of other people have said the same on these and other forums. You can pick it up for around £29.99 at places like Play.com and Amazon.co.uk.

5. murtz

murtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Im keeping my TV.. Whats the difference with Sky being on Component compared to HDMI?

Also.. is this the HDMI box you were talking about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Tri-Link-Switcher-PS3/dp/B000NJZRSI

Could you please give me a briefing on how these things work?.. And whilst im on the HDMI subject.. can anyone recommend me a hdmi lead thats not over a tenner?

6. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    There are a fair few HDMI switchers available (i believe there's usually a selection in an ad at the top of some of these forums). They are just a simple box that you plug all your devices into and then plug one HDMI from that to the back of your TV. It'll (usually) come with a remote with which to select input 1,2 or 3 and that devices signal will be sent through to your TV.

As for HDMI leads, well there has been some debate as to whether paying the extra money is worth it. The usual concensus is that for anything under a couple of metres cost doesn't matter. I picked up a cheap (£10) off Ebay and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I don't have Sky HD so I can't comment on that.

That is the switch box I was referring to. You just connect an HDMI cable from it to your TV. There are three seperate connections for HDMI cables from your various devices to the switch box. That one comes with a remote control and an "infrared eye" that plugs into it with a short cable. There is also a button on the box to switch connections. For power it comes with a USB cable that can be connected to any powered USB connection as well as a mains adapter that can be used as an alternative.

8. murtz

murtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for all the help so far! I think Im leaning towards getting a splitter. It doesnt change in quality does it? (as in.. one HDMI port getting less signal because theres the power is going through to 2 ports)

Does anyone know what its like to use SKY HD through Component?

9. x2srj

x2srj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have SkyHD and PS3 running through my Joytech Trilink; no loss on either....

I tried component once with the SkyHD box; I won't go back... maybe I had cheap wires but it was awful...

10. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    The quality should degrade unless it is a bad switch box especially one that is passive and not powered. As long as you have a good quality switch box you should be alright. If you're on a titght budget the Joytech one is a good choice and does a very good job for the price.

11. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    IMHO, the best way forward (assuming you don't already have one), is to get a new HDMI capable amp/receiver. I use a Sony 3200ES with my Sky HD and PS3, and because it can handle LPCM audio over the HDMI connection, I can access the best quality audio tracks from Blu-Ray disk (PS3 decodes Dolby True HD soundtracks to LPCM and then sends LPCM audio to the amp).

There are some amps around that just do the HDMI switching, but I'd recommend getting one that can do the LPCM processing too. Hearing your Sky HD and PS3 in surround is awesome. I'm currently running a 5.1 set up, and I'm very tempted to move to a 7.1 set up (just need to add a couple of speakers as the 3200ES is ready to go)! :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. Bear in mind that Sky HD doesn't carry multi-channel audio on its HDMI output, you have to connect a separate optical cable...