Question Best Way To Clear Broken Wood From Floor Boards

Commander1

I have used solid pad floor boards that I want to reuse
They were glued so when you break them apart the wood tongue in some area is breaking off and blocking the grove
So I need to clear the broken solid oak tongue from the grove
What is the best way of achievement this please. So far I am thinking a router with a slot cutter bit ?
Are there better way to achieve end results ?
John
Ps anyone in Norfolk area got router £30 mark ?

outoftheknow

Don’t know about a router but I do know hard wood tongues and grooves are pretty good fit and often a weird size. Using glue in the tongues/grooves will cause issues if you want to reuse them - as you have found out. Blind nailing through the bottom of the groove leaving the tongue to slip in is the ‘only way’ you stand a chance to easily reuse IME. Even then some planks can be glued to the floor instead of nailed (laid on concrete for example or last row with groove against the wall) and if somebody got carried away with glue some planks suffer. Still no glue in the tongue and groove though.

If tongue is broken in the grooves then some planks obviously have missing tongue for a length too? If not long lengths of blocked groove I suppose a near enough router would do the trick. Hopefully enough good tongue and groove per plank to hold the planks firm by nailing or glue. Try not to glue the grooves when reusing :)

Edit - clean up broken tongue lengths too so the planks fit snugly together as originally designed. Only remove broken bits on the tongue surfaces - do not touch the top plank edge in particular as this will create a gap when laid.

Commander1

Yes I have selected planks with minimum work required
Yes in places the tongue is glued into grove and the grove making good
The slot cutter bit what diametion/size required please ?
Will a 1/4 size router or handheld laminate trimming router do the John b best ? And which would be best choice please ?

outoftheknow

I reckon you need to take a sample to a tool shop to match the groove to a router bit. You’ll need a router and table/stand as well. Edit - this isn’t something for the inexperienced woodworker especially if the glue has been used liberally over long lengths. If the tongue needs a clean too you are in danger of losing the snug fit of the planks. Unless your subfloor is flat to a mirror finish, you will probably find out why plank locking systems are used and why they are snug. Once the groove plank is fixed it is only as level over its length as the subfloor. Same for the next plank lying on the floor next to it. The T&G system pulls the planks even over the whole length leaving an even edged floor.

Last edited:

Commander1

Ok I understand so even when clean if there are parts of the tongue broken off then the fit with the grove edge will work poorly because the lock will not be along the planks entire length
So consequently if you have a plank which is only connected to the next plank by 2/3rds it could still left in the unconnected section.
I think the solid wood flooring might be beyond recovering and the cost of router and table makes it marginal anyway.
Will buy new wood and have done expensive fire wood
Thanks everyone for helping me with decision
John

outoftheknow

Obviously we can’t see the extent of the problem but generally broken tongues and hard glue in the grooves will mean the planks are not going to go down properly. The human eye and bare feet are very sensitive and you see and feel imperfections from day one if they are there.

Glue and T&G as you have found out is ok until you lift them and want to relay them :)

Top Bottom