Best way to cable the cards

beerglass007

I have problems with my MCE over the last week and trying to fix these small problems.

I currently have 2 sweespot mce cards and use one TV cable with a Y spilter between them
I am losing channels on the scaning process which I know get picked up using my standard settop freeview box.

Last night I installed a inline booster and this gave me ITV west back , but isnt playing well. Keeps giving me a blue screen and audio only.

What would be the best way to cable the 2 cards. Surely I dont need 2 TV aerials on the roof ??

Does TV boosters work with freeview?

The booster I have is only a single boosters so I have the Y spilter on the output, would a twin booster work better?:lease:

D

DaveP

A Y splitter halves the signal, hence your problem. You need a dual booster. You may find a cheap one from Tesco may do the trick but it was no good in my case.

I found the best solution for me was using an old sky box that has dual TV out ports.

beerglass007

DaveP said:
A Y splitter halves the signal, hence your problem. You need a dual booster. You may find a cheap one from Tesco may do the trick but it was no good in my case.

I found the best solution for me was using an old sky box that has dual TV out ports.

Ok thanks

Is there a better or worse make and model ?
Do some work better with freeview

avanzato

Put a distribution amp near to where the aerial cable comes into the house, then run separate cables to each of the Sweetspot aerial inputs and any other boxes you have. I would get an amp to cover all your TV's, Four or Six way amp, and to allow future expansion of the system, they don't cost much less than £20 for a 4 way.

For amps B&Q do the SLX range or there's Triax, Antiference, Blake Proception, Wolsey etc. whichever you can find locally

Don't use 'standard' aerial cable instead get the one with a foil sheild as it won't pick up interference so you'll get a more reliable picture. Also avoid using any sort of wall sockets they're bad for Freeview reception.

beerglass007

avanzato said:
Put a distribution amp near to where the aerial cable comes into the house, then run separate cables to each of the Sweetspot aerial inputs and any other boxes you have. I would get an amp to cover all your TV's, Four or Six way amp, and to allow future expansion of the system, they don't cost much less than £20 for a 4 way.

For amps B&Q do the SLX range or there's Triax, Antiference, Blake Proception, Wolsey etc. whichever you can find locally

Don't use 'standard' aerial cable instead get the one with a foil sheild as it won't pick up interference so you'll get a more reliable picture. Also avoid using any sort of wall sockets they're bad for Freeview reception.

Thanks for the help. I see what your saying about placing the amp near the roof. But I dont have any power up in the roof and would be a nightmare to do. Also the one single cable coming down into my PC cupboard was hard enough and I doubt I could get another cable down.
So with these small problems, would a 2 way amp on the end of the single cable going into 2 way and then onto the sweespot cards be any good ?
Or am I just wasting £20 - £30 on an amp which is basically gonna boost noise.

avanzato

An amp is the only way you be able to split the signal to each card without making it worse, though it can't improve on the signal it's receiving.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom