1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way of connecting xbox to V500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stampax, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Can anyone tell me the best way of connecting the xbox to my new Panasonic V500? Best as in, best quality picture.............. What cables do I need?

2. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component cables. Remember to set your xbox to NTSC so you can enable 480p, 720p and 1080i.

3. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652

'Component cables. Remember to set your xbox to NTSC so you can enable 480p, 720p and 1080i.'

You can only do this if you have an NTSC or modded Xbox, if you have a PAL xbox the best connection is via the offiicial microsoft advanced scart cable,I've found the PQ is slightly lacking on an unmodded PAL xbox using component leads and better with RGB scart.

though If you can access 480p on your xbox through component it looks incredible.

4. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I just assume everyone has a modded xbox these days :rolleyes:

5. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Care to point me to a link to get the cables from - i think i'm having an off day and cant find em.....
    (just about to mod the xbox so that no prob)

6. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1742&

You can get cheaper ones but my experience is that the official cables from MS work better.

7. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    DO you know how long the wire is? My plasma is going to be on the wall so it needs to be reasonably long.
    Also - how does the audio connect with the high def kit? Can i still conect it to my amp for 5.1 sound?

8. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    If you are gonna get a high-def kit only buy the official Microsoft one the 3rd party ones produce more picture noise.

There are 2 types of High def kits, the older style one has the connections on an external box so you can either use the 1.5m supplied cables or plug in longer more expensive component cables of your choice.The newer one has the cables moulded into the AV plug so it's more tidy but you're limited to the cable length (I presume it'll be around 1.5m's long)

Both Kits have optical output on them for your 5.1 sound

There's a picture of the older one,My mate ordered one from dvdboxoffice and got the newer style one so I don't know how you would choose which one you wanted,could be the luck of the draw.

Attached Files:

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If ever there was a reason to mod your xbox this is it, the jump in picture quality is unmatched and is a must and i would except nothing less. I have a PV500 so i can vouch for the PQ but to put into perspective how much better it looks i was unabe to use my xbox with my projector that i own due to lack of clarity via scart as it was projecting a 100 inch image but with the official hi def microsoft kit the picture was clear and the colours were vibrant. I spent ALOT of time playing xbox because of it which i otherwise wouldn't have if it weren't for component!

10. Mr_Tony

Mr_Tony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is an official high definition kit from microsoft?

11. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The biggest problem i'm having so far is cable lenghts - due to trying to keep it tidy etc, hanging the plasma on the wall means i need 5m for each cable, so the latest high def kit would cause a serious headache...............
    decisions decisions!!! I'd also have to get a component switcher, which is another 60 odd quid (as only one component input on the PV500), so it is looking pretty expensive (espech with the new xbox360 on the way).

12. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Mr Tony,

Yeah Microsoft make an YD Kit but it's not officially available in Europe since they removed YD options from the PAL Xbox I don't suppose they thought there was any point in releasing it here.

Stamp xi, I think RUGBY scart looks very nice on the PAVE500, the processing on the set does a great job and if you don't want all the outlay for the component kit it could be a good alternative option.You're still goanna be restricted by the length of the cable though.

13. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How old is your xbox? The newer xbox has a a different tv chip in it that gives better results through component. If you have an old xbox with the old tv chip you MAY run into issues while using component via the Microsoft HD kit. I recently had to sell my xbox for a new one as the old one give me faint vertical lines which was unusable so be prepared, life ain't easy with the pv500.

14. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have an old xbox - brought it very early......oh well!

15. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I've got a modded V1.0 xbox and those vertical lines only occour on 480i games,all games which run in 480p or above are fine.Since there are only about 6 or 7 games out of 300-400 that won't run in 480p it's not really issue.

16. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is an issue dude, on my pv500 every game had the lines. It could be an issue with hi def plasmas or just the pv500 but i was able to use my old xbox with my projector with no issues.

P.S. i have heard of people complaining about the lines with other makes of plasmas and it was resolved by buying a new xbox. If you have an old xbox then there is a good chance you will get these lines and in this case with the pv500 those lines will appear. Case closed.

17. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Jeez FlyingBig what's your problem. Am I not allowed an opinion on the matter.I've got an older Xbox and I don't get lines on my PV500 when in 480p so as I said it's not an issue for me.

18. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you are. There have been 3 tv chips used throughout the xbox's life and from what i can gather the very old xbox (up until a year from its release) has the old tv chip which causes the problems i described. If you have an xbox with the second tv chip or latest one you should be fine.