Best way of connecting TV to Denon DM38DAB

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by shaigh86, Jan 8, 2012.

1. shaigh86

shaigh86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone. I currently have my Hifi plugged into the headphone port of my TV to get sound on my ps3 and xbox 360, I was wondering if there would be a difference in sound if i was to go from my spdif coaxial out on my tv ( it has no optical digital port) and convert it to analogue then into the stereo??? or convert from my xbox and ps3s optical ports with a splitter and that goes into a dac to the stereo. Im quite a noobie to this stuff so i made a diagram if not clear !

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. formbypc

formbypc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    You don't want a splitter, you want a switch.

Apart from that, looks fine - as long as you're outputting a digital signal from your sources that the DAC can handle. Most HiFi DACs will expect PCM signal at 16/44, 24/96 or variants of same.

If you output (for instance) Dolby Digital or DTS, and the DAC isn't designed to cope with these, silence will result.

You won't need the switch if you get a DAC with at least one Coaxial and one Optical input

3. shaigh86

shaigh86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so you recommend doing the second diagram with a switch instead of a splitter?