1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way of connecting dvd to tv s video or scart

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mkendall, Oct 10, 2001.

1. mkendall

mkendall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it better to connect my dvd to the tv buy s video or scart?

im going to buy a new 32"widescreen tommorow and not sure if i can afford to get one with 3 scarts or to get 2 scarts and rear s video connection{i have sky digital and video
    and amp etc
    any help thanks
    mike

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is a confusing topic - there are loads of posts on this so try searching if you need more info.
    I'm not entirely sure but I think you are confusing a transmsiion method with a physical connector...
    Bottom line is..
    Use a SCART connector and use RGB rather than S-Video as the output from the DVD. I found that using a good quality SCART lead (about £20) gave visibly better results than the out of the box lead - try pausing the video and swapping the leads to see the difference.

Hope this helps

Dave

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    RGB Scart

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    In my eyes, anyone who has RGB capability on their DVD player and TV and for some obscure reason opts for S-video or composite (AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!) instead is committing a serious offence. ;)

There really is no excuse.

Even if it means getting a switch box so you can still watch digital TV via RGB. Failing that DVD player should ALWAYS have priority over any STB when it comes to RGB.

And one last thing, don't let ANYBODY tell you that S-video is better than RGB, it ISN'T..never has never will.
    Just because the picture is brighter on
    S-video, their brain fools them into thinking the piture is clearer (this is scientifically proven, the eye is more sensitive to brightness levels, apparantley).

PCs have always used it, so to have pro VT editors.

S-video has a place in the analog world, composite is not welcome anymore at all.

TV manufactures are still not doing enough to accomodate the ever increasing numbe rof RGB devices.

[ 13-10-2001: Message edited by: Kevo ]

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In about 98% of the cases you would be right. There are certain times that s-video would appear better. Often, older Toshiba models were better with s-video (particulary on NTSC sources).

Scart should be used on widescreen sets due to auto-widescreen switching handled via pin 8.

6. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah fools, don't go believing what your eyes are telling you.

It may be that to your eyes that the picture looks better with S-video, and you may have a more enjoyable viewing experience with S-video, but the facts and figures tell you that RGB is scientifically better, so you should use that. Damn stupid eyes :p

Pull out your eyes and get a direct digital link from the DVD player to your optical cortex, it's the only way forward :D