1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best war strategy game ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by sifowler, May 22, 2003.

1. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering what people's opinions are on the best war strategy game for the PC. I read that Command and Conquer Generals is very good. Any others ?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    Medieval : Total War.

Absolutely fantastic game - good AI, and terrain, morale and all that combine well. I highly recommend it.

3. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what classes as best... depends on your taste I suppose...

I can tell you that I've played almost every Command & Conquer game released and although I enjoyed Generals... it was only ok.. it was far too easy...

I finished all 3 sides in a few days... and I'm not a hard core gamer by any stretch of the imagination...

Age of Mythology was very good... throughly enjoyed that...

And although I havnt played it myself the whole Medievil: Total War series of games seen to be very well respected.

Note: Squiffy got his post in as I was writing mine! :)

Hope that helps!

Mark.
    l

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been hearing a lot of good things about "Rise of Nations" lately. (Brian Reynolds is da man) It's supposed to be an excellent mix of RTS and strategy/Civ-building.

I'll probably be picking it up in the next few weeks, so I'll post my thoughts then.

5. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's gotta be Medieval Total War, you can get it for 20 quid now,Viking Invasion adds to it too.However Total War Rome looks astonishing, hope it plays as well as it looks.Nothing beat the feeling when watching the armies walk over the tops of the hills,
    roll on ZULU TOTAL WAR. Buy it it's great.

6. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sudden strike and its add-ons, no building of defences etc, all you need to do is keep your units supplied.

WWII frontline command. I had big hopes for this, coming from the Bitmap brothers, but Its slow, no quick keys and the AI is poor.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    I've been playing the trial version of Rise Of Nations (Microsoft) and have really enjoyed it. I've only played C&C Generals in Skirmish Mode but am annoyed that there aren't many skirmish maps available.

8. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well one of my favorites and is a great game is Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos, this game in multiplayer rocks!! ;)

9. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Warzone 2100 is old but outstanding.

Also check out Black Gold.

Neil.

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after playing a full day of Rise of Nations, I can say that it is definitely a solid game. I normally prefer TBS to RTS, but this game is a perfect mix. You can whip through a game in 30 minutes if you want (seriously), or you can take your time and carefully plan out your progress.

The interface (the most important part of any game, IMO) is excellent. Easy to quick-select, and hotkeys for everything. Lots of options for grouping units by type or by selection. The units are very smart too. Citizens will get tired of standing around doing nothing after a while and will head off to work in the mines or chop wood where they are needed. (the amount of time they will stand around is adjustable, like just about everything in this game) Military units have good AI, and you can set an army to have a battle preference. (aggressive = attack anyone / Raid = focus on citizens and caravans / Raze = focus on buildings, etc)

And the main scenario game "Conquer the World" is like a huge game of Risk. Every time you invade a country, it jumps you into a regular game where you either storm your standing army into their base, or setup a city and prepare for the long haul.

Don't know if there is a patch out yet, but I didn't find a single bug. (which is shocking in itself these days) Probably the biggest annoyance I've found so far is the sound that plays when you unpause the game. Considering how petty that statement is should give you some idea how solid this game is.

Thoroughly recommended, and there's a demo available to try before you buy. I haven't checked it out, so I'm not sure how different it is from retail though.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    Age of Empires Gold is on budget which I believe is like Age of Mythology, also Civilization 2 (on budget also) is a good strategy game but is top dowm and turn based and will steal your life away. Also Heroes of Might & Magic III is a one of.;)

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    The rise of nations demo is extremely good, however I am too addicted to EVE Online to warrant buying it.

It gives you a whole map to play on with no time limits and you can research everything. You can only play as the British though.

My only concern was the complexity you can get to, it can be very difficult to control 4 armies and look after 6 towns :)

I love the way you can group and it gives them names like the 1st Infantry or 2nd Calvary, depending on the majority makeup of the troops, very handy.

Amazing game though.

13. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any of you fellows heard about Warrior Kings ?

it got over 90% in PCZONE... I played a bit and its massive (ie too big ) ...hence didn't bother with the rest of it :)

Edit: saying that, it was quite good though , set in the times of the old bow and arrow and horsemen etc etc ...

14. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about "Hearts of Iron" & "Europa Universalis II"?

They're very different from Medieval (which has the best battles I've seen), being more about planning, research, diplomacy & economics (!), but are great games.

HOI is a very good WWII game, EUII allows you top play from 1419 - 1820. Both allow you to play as just about any historical nation you could imagine, & are historically accurate.

You might have difficulty getting hold of EUII (I had to get mine second hand from Amazon), but HOI should still be out there. They're probably both on reduced prices by now.

15. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C&C Red Alert 2!!

Have been totally adicted to online playing for well over a year now. So much so that I havent been able to play anything else!!

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a copy of EUII that "just like new" that I'd be willing to sell. I think it's a really deep game, but there isn't enough action for me.

17. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend that you try Command and Conquer Generals i have been playing this game on Single Player and is very great (i haven't play this game online yet) I know that is you like C&C Red Alert 2, you would like more C&C Generals ;)

18. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Rise of Nations is just £27.00 at Play. great game.:smashin:

19. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought Generals and after having completed the first disk in one sitting I decided I wasnt that keen. Sold it after that, not a patch on RA!!!

Am very tempted by Rise of Nations. Whats peoples opinions of that (especially like to hear from any RA2 fans!!).