Best VPN?

Are there any free VPN setups out there?

I know there are the ones that just give you a different location, but the one I mean is where you can actually remote into your network from a remote location?
I think what you're after is this:

I got a good deal with NordVPN the other day, it came to £94.84 for 3 years plus 3 months free, but then by using Quidco, I will (eventually) be getting £53.11 cash back.

I think what you're after is this:

Thanks.

I can set them up fine, I just don't have a vpn "server name" setup to enter the details for it.

That's why I asked whether there was anything that was free for this. I know you can set them up on certain routers, but I believe you would still need to pay a provider for a "server name" (VPN connection).

Thanks.

I can set them up fine, I just don't have a vpn "server name" setup to enter the details for it.

That's why I asked whether there was anything that was free for this. I know you can set them up on certain routers, but I believe you would still need to pay a provider for a "server name" (VPN connection).
Ah, sorry I don't know how to do that part of it.

Ivacy here. Plenty of international servers and the ones in Europe especially are pretty quick. I paid $72US for five years. Works out at about £1 a month. A caveat is their bespoke software doesn't allow port forwarding by default. Set up your links manually and it'll bypass it. Fortunately Ivacy has lots of guides how to do this.

Are there any free VPN setups out there?

I know there are the ones that just give you a different location, but the one I mean is where you can actually remote into your network from a remote location?

You don't need to use a VPN service provider to create a VPN - all you need it the technology to create the endpoints and establish the link between them. We do it all the time in business to, for example, create secure links between offices without having to buy expensive leased lines, facilitate secure access back to home base (the company) for our "road warriors." (Though I prefer other mechanisms for the latter such as Citrix or similar remote access.)

If you create a VPN endpoint in your home, institute some mechanism to "find" your home network such as a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) name registration, and utilise client device with either the right software or apps to create VPN endpoint, you can make your own VPN for nothing to "connect back home" from elsewhere.

It's an opinion; but I think a lot of the hype about VPN Services is a bit "snake oiley." There are good uses for a VPN Service, such as evading geo-locking, but the idea that using a VPN Service make using the Internet "safe" is laughable. All an Internet based VPN Service does is change where your traffic ingress/egresses the public Internet from where you are to somewhere else. (As a consequence, it could even make it slower if it ends up traveling further.) But I confess, I've done little research into VPN service providers, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the service offering.

Last edited:
You don't need to use a VPN service provider to create a VPN - all you need it the technology to create the endpoints and establish the link between them. We do it all the time in business to, for example, create secure links between offices without having to buy leases lines, facilitate secure access back to home base (the company) for our "road warriors." (Though I prefer other mechanisms for the latter such as Citrix or similar remote access.)

If you create a VPN endpoint in your home, institute some mechanism to "find" your home network such as a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) name registration, and utilise client device with either the right software or apps to create VPN endpoint, you can make your own VPN for nothing for "connecting back home" from elsewhere.

It's an opinion; but I think a lot of the hype about VPN Services is a bit "snake oiley." There are good uses for a VPN Service, such as evading geo-locking, but the idea that using a VPN Service make using the Internet "safe" is laughable. All an Internet based VPN Service does if change where your traffic ingress/egresses the public Internet from where you are to somewhere else. (As a consequence, it could even make it slower if it ends up traveling further.) But I confess, I've done little research into VPN service providers, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the service offering.

Does Dynamic DNS cost anything though? There must be a cost in there somewhere?

I have a couple of DrayTek routers that I know have the facility to create a VPN, but I imagine there is a cost somewhere in there when setting up a VPN.

Again, this is purely so I can access my home network when out from say a mobile device / laptop, not to change my location.

Yes, DDNS providers usually change, though I believe it's a relatively modest fee often bundled in the cost of registering a DNS domain name.

It's only necessary because domestic ISP's generally do not offer fixed IP addresses. If you can get a fixed IP address, then DDNS would not be necessary.

For "accessing home whilst out and about" hassle free, something like TeamViewer would do the job for remote controlling a PC without all the VPN, DDNS, etc. though I'd have to check to see if the link is encrypted and how easy it is to do file transfers.

Yeah I guessed that’s what you’d be paying for in some capacity, the public IP that creates the secure tunnel.

Funny you say about TeamViewer as that is exactly what I use at the moment. It’s functionality over the phone isn’t great.

RDP on the other hand is at least better on the phone, but obviously only works when on the local network and not over mobile data for example.

What options are there in terms of getting a fixed IP? Is it a case of speaking with my ISP and them setting one up, which I presume they will charge for? If so is it a monthly charge / data charge / yearly fee?

What options are there in terms of getting a fixed IP? Is it a case of speaking with my ISP and them setting one up, which I presume they will charge for? If so is it a monthly charge / data charge / yearly fee?

Pretty much. It would not surprise me if there are ISP's that simply refuse to do it. I've never tried.

Shame that it is so hard to find really. If someone came out with a free one it would be amazing.

Plusnet is £5 for a static IP address, assuming you're on the right package and you can get free DDNS providers /not read all the thread.

It's an opinion; but I think a lot of the hype about VPN Services is a bit "snake oiley." There are good uses for a VPN Service, such as evading geo-locking, but the idea that using a VPN Service make using the Internet "safe" is laughable. All an Internet based VPN Service does is change where your traffic ingress/egresses the public Internet from where you are to somewhere else. (As a consequence, it could even make it slower if it ends up traveling further.) But I confess, I've done little research into VPN service providers, so maybe I'm missing something fundamental about the service offering.

Correct but some VPN Providers can also prevent DNS logging and potential DNS leaks (that would help with DNS spoofing\redirections).

They (if you trust their policies) can offer no logging (NordVPN) esp if you connect to servers in countries whom don't store your info for a year or so i.e. UK\USA\Australia\some EU.So, they provide some level of privacy and safety online.

Every time ive used one my speeds drop massively?

Is that using 'free' VPN's? If so, then they probably are drastically slowing your speeds.

Some NordVPN UK server connections I can connect to at 50-55Mbps, thats with a 'normal' 63Mbps connection. Other times it less but its finding the right server and NordVPN tries to do that for you.

Plus you've got the encryption and decryption being done, plus the extra hops to get to/from the VPN exit/entry server, all on top of the other traffic management being used by the VPN provider. It'll take its toll with some more than others.

Last edited:
That's only to be expected with a VPN so speed is also a consideration in choosing one you'll stick with. Will also depend where you are. In my case, PIA has been okay, and the pros mentioned on this include speed. Recent news about it have been concerning though, so I might consider changing.

Is NordVPN still the best then?

How do VPN's work? Say I want to change my Netflix from UK to US, how do I actually change this? Is it simply a case of logging out of my UK account and logging in to a US one? Do you have to set the VPN to US to log into Netflix US?

I use NordVPN, but Netflix recognises it as a vpn and won’t let you stream anything if it’s activated. If you want something specific for Netflix you need to look at something else.

How do VPN's work? Say I want to change my Netflix from UK to US, how do I actually change this? Is it simply a case of logging out of my UK account and logging in to a US one? Do you have to set the VPN to US to log into Netflix US?

I don't know about the different netflix accounts, but on the VPN side, you'll be needing to use it to fool USA Netflix to think that you're network connection is in the States. Your VPN service will have multiple endpoints across the world so you'll just pick a end point server in the states. The VPN software then makes a secure tunnel across the Internet between your PC and the endpoint, hey presto, the traffic from your PC pops out in the States and it looks like it's connected there.

I'm sure that these TV services are wise to this sort of thing which might limit it usefulness, i.e. xar's post above.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom