Best Vob to Avi converter - Help... please!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by alexcord, Jan 24, 2008.

1. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Hi,

Sorry for asking what is probably an FAQ but I have a really tough deadline.

I have to convert and edit footage from multiple mini DVDs recorded by a DVD Camcorder.

So far I have tried renaming the VOB files to AVI and can get them to successfully play within Adobe Premiere CS3 (once pre-rendered). The problem is that once I have exported to DVD, all of the footage jumps and skips.

I need to know the easiest, fastest and most reliable way to convert these files (28 of them) to a format from which I can edit.

Anybody recommend the best?

I do also have Adobe After Effects CS3 which I understand might be able to edit the files directly if simply renamed to and MPEG file but I am loathe to use it for the full edit.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards

Alex

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    Basically you don't want to convert the compressed .VOB files to another format if it can be avoided. Multiple conversions will result in a fair loss of PQ.
    I'm not sure how well Premiere CS3 works with MPEG files, but most modern programs do tend to work well. If this is the case then all you want to do is rename the .VOB files to .MPG and you should then be able to edit as required. The .VOB files are just .MPG files but in the DVD compliant format. Renaming them does not do any conversion and therefore you should not loose any PQ.

Mark.

3. alexcord

alexcord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will give that a try. I had renamed the vob to mpeg for a quick test but not sure whether I lost the audio or not? Any ideas? Unfortnately I am not at my PC.

Regards

Alex

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Most of the budget Editors ( including Adobes Own Premiere Elements 2,3 and 4 ) can import vobs ( without renaming) and you can output them as you like

As suggested converting VOB to *.mpg is better than *.avi as it isnt an AVI type file

5. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    Just renaming extensions doesn't work. As for AVI - AVI is just a container, so you need to know what format within that container you are going to use, and of what type - mainly DivX or XviD.

Personally, I use Auto GK which, with the codecs on my computer, use the XviD format, which plays fine in all DivX compatible DVD players (that I've tried)

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Specifically, As VOB files on a DVD video are modified mpeg2 files anyway it works in majority of cases.. to chage *.vob to *.mpg
    I imagine for use in Adobe After effects / Premiere it would have been an interframe type format l *avi (?mp4) file type but those software have native vob support now anyway

Not all DVD players play mp4 files though and the resulting DVD would be a data DVD with video files ,not a DVD video

7. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    Of course not all DVD players can play MP4/DivX/AVI etc - thats why I said "compatible" DVD players... And yes, it's a data disc where the hardware can read the data file to display the video - it will never be a "DVD-Video" disc unless burnt in DVD-Video format - which funnily enough is VTS/VOB/IFO formats. Much like a CD-Audio disc is in CDA format and not MP3

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Seems we are both saying the same thing. really:)

Bottom line.. VOB ( mpeg2) is better edited in its native form