1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best video signal with AV Amp switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverFish, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SilverFish

SilverFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Im looking for a new AV amp, one that does video switching.

I've taken a look at the Yamaha DSPX-AX750SE which lists video switching as one of its features.

I know that there will be some video signal degradation, but is it noticeable? Most of my inputs and outputs are Scart, but the Yam only takes S-Video, component or composite. Will I lose much by going from Scart to S-Video?

My sources would be:

Sky+ - S-video or Scart
    DVD Pioneer 636 - ditto
    X-Box - ditto
    Gamecube - ditto
    Archos AV340 - Composite (not used much)

The Yam does do component video up-conversion. Now although my CRT TV (Panasonic TX-32PM1) wont take this, will using a Component to Scart cable help to redress the balance?

Im already using a push button scart switch box - will there be any real difference between that and a S-Video relay switch?

I hope that makes sense and thanks for any help or ideas you can throw my way.

Cheers,

Mike

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Generally not.

Scart is not a video signal, just a cable/connector type. Scart carries composite, S-Video and/or RGB. So the question is what signal are you currently using via Scart and what signals does your TV support?

The difference from composite to S-Video is quite noticable while S-Video to RGB is only marginal. In fact, depending on the combination of equipment, S-Video may actually yield better results than RGB. Generally RGB is better though.

If your TV can't take it then Component (YUV) is of no use to you. The mentioned cable does not do any conversion, it's just an adapter from one connector type to another.

As above: what signal are you switching - composite, S-Video or RGB?

3. SilverFish

SilverFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Reiner - a very clear and comprehensive reply!

I did not know that - you learn something new every day...

I am switching RGB, so I could expect some marginal difference as you described.

I think I will give it a go then. I will also keep an eye out for a reasonably priced TV with component inputs.

Thanks again for you answers!

Cheers,

Mike :thumbsup: