1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Video Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oliv83, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Oliv83

Oliv83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Who could give me an advise .... What's the cheaper and best Vidoe projector ?

Thanks for all your advices
    Rgds

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much do you have to spend? and what do you want to do with it?

I think the cheapest unit that is any good is the Sanyo Z1 as far as I know. I think that costs around £1100 UK pounds.

I bought a Sony VPL-HS10 for approx £2100 UK pounds.

There are lots of good machines available around the £2000 UK pounds mark.

I don't think you will get anything for below £1000 UK pounds.

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One of the best for the money is the AE100 (panasonic).
    About £1200 - and great picture.
    There has been a reliability problem on a lot of early models though.
    Failing that....what about a second hand CRT like a Barco or NEC?
    Can get them about 900 quid or less.
    But make sure there is minimal or no tube burn etc. They are big mind - 50kg or so :) - But do give a really cinematic picture.

Hope this helps - try looking in the classifieds.

Cheers

Chris

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't owned either the Sanyo Z1 or the Panasonic AE100 but when I was buying my HS10, the chap at nexnix said that the Pansonic AE100 was "a pile of rubbish" (his words not mine) and that the Sanyo Z1 was far better.

I haven't got an interest either way since I have a Sony HS10.
    Just passing it on...

Maybe you should try reading the info in the forums a bit more.

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Come on all ye AE100 owners.....Is it a pile of rubbish :)
    I think it looks the mutz nutz when projected via componant or via VGA Home cinema PC.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have a Sanyo Z1. Another PJ getting good reports is the Infocus X1 which is even cheaper.

Mat

7. Oliv83

Oliv83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always really difficult for me to have a clear idea ... Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony ...

My use will be more or less 2 or 3 movies / week coming from a DVD or from my computer (if Divx). Is there something wrong with this ?

Thanks 4 all
    Oliv
    :blush:

8. Oliv83

Oliv83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always really difficult for me to have a clear idea ... Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony ...

My use will be more or less 2 or 3 movies / week coming from a DVD or from my computer (if Divx). Is there something wrong with this ?

Thanks 4 all
    Oliv

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John_N,

I've seen you twice quote your "salesman" opinion that the "AE100 is a pile of rubbish", without indicating whether you had seen the projector in action, or expressing your own opinion.

About 100 members here have the AE100, and while it certainly isn't in the same league as a HS10, and is outclassed by the Sanyo Z1, if you wish to promulgate an opinion such as this, you should really see one properly set up before you nail your colours so firmly to the mast.

The fact that the HS10 ( at well over twice the price, and a newer projector by about a year) is better that the AE100 is to be expected - but technological advance doesn't mean that earlier models lose their inherent qualities in absolute terms, it is only in comparative terms that the difference is apparent.

So the AE100 is not this year's model - has it occurred to you that a "salesman" might describe a projector which is available at about £900 on the internet as "rubbish" because he might be concerned to sell you a more expensive model, or a model which he stocks ??

If you take a wander over to the CRT forum, you'll find guys with machines 5 years older or more which for outright picture quality will knock the socks off any of the LCD/DLP machines, new or old.

Don't assume that because there are new projectors out at the moment that they won't be superceded next year, and that your "salesman" will be describing the HS10 as a "noisy heap of rubbish", while attampting to sell a Panasonic AE600 (or whatever) to their next customer.

Sean G.

10. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the Panny seems to be out classed by the Sanyo Z1 which cost the same.

I am just going by the specifications - the sanyo has twice the contrast - (argueably the most important specification) and I think a de-interlacer.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO.

AE100 on a very low budget (<£1000 or €1500)
    Sanyo PLV-Z1 ( £1200 or €1850)
    Sony HS10 ( £2200 or €3350).

Personally, I'd definitely go for a Z1 over the Panasonic given the relatively small price difference, reliability concerns (AE100) & Sanyo's better spec/more recent unit.

The HS10 obviously outclasses either, &, IMO, won't be beaten by any LCD sub £3500/€5000.

Then again, there are also DLPs & 2nd hand CRTs available for similiar amounts, so it's not that straightforward.

I've a HS10 & think it's awesome - then again, I'm mad :D

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Quote Kramer:

"I've a HS10 & think it's awesome - then again, I'm mad "

End Quote.

Aaaah, true, true, but you're lovely with it !!!!:D :D

Kramer's "food chain" of projectors is on the ball - the higher resolution and reltively small price differential puts the Z1 in pole position as the entry level projector - and bear in mind that the "entry level" standard has moved up-market in resolution terms.

Sean G.

13. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can't say it’s the cheapest (Yet) but we have officially reduced the Optoma H50 (DLP) down to £1999 Inc vat. Might be worth considering if you want to move forward with digital technology.

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    What is cheap? What is quality?

I don't want someone dictating to me their preferences as to what is an acceptable picture quality. NOTHING mentioned so far is acceptable to me. Does that mean that you are all wrong?

Of course not. The only answer is to go and look for yourself. The guy who drives a BMW all day may find a top of the range Honda unacceptable while a mini owmer might think it great. Neither will know till they drive the things. If all the Mini owners rave about the Honda the guy might give up after driving them all and finding them wanting.......(this is an analogy so please don't crucify me)

Evryone will recommend the unit they own or aspire to own. Go and find a dealer who can arrange for you to see various different quality levels of unit. Ask them to show you the qulitative differences. Then make an informed decisikon for yourself.

Gordon

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    More free advertising, Stuart ? :D :D

Sean G.

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    As already mentioned, the Infocus X1 is less than £1200, and has 1400:1 contrast in video mode (2000:1with white segment enabled), and is 800 x 600.

It also has DCDI built in, so there shouldn't be any need for an external scaler. For the money, this looks like the DLP equivalent of the Z1.

So to me it currently looks like the X1 and Z1 are prime contenders for bargain pjs that give a great picture for the price.

The AE100 shouldn't be discounted either, except perhaps for reliability issues. It wasn't that long ago that this pj was the king of budget pjs, and getting rave reviews.

Of course, only a demo of the pjs will tell you how they perform, and which one looks best to you, so get viewing!

Gary.

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Can I also just point out that scalers do more than just de-interlace so the fact a product has a dcdi de-interlacing chipset doesn't mean there will be no benefit from external video processing.

The implimentation of that chipset within a product can even effect it's performance so not all DCDi equipped products should even be considered equal in this regard.

It does sound like a product worth seeking for a dem though, which I am sure is Gary's point.

Gordon

18. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sean

I don't disagree with what you said. In my earlier post I also mentioned they were his views and not mine. I haven't seen either unit as I have already said, and I don't have a vested interest either way. My sole intention was to promote a bit of a debate by being a little contentious. Which seems to have succeeded. :) If I were an AE100 owner I would perhaps be annoyed that some salesman had described something I owned in that manner but to be honest anyone can say anything they like about the HS10 and I don't really care - for God's sake it's only a piece of plastic.

I would just like to gently point out that I'm not sure I really need to be lectured in the field of electronics and video - so please don't speak to me as if I'm an idiot - I have an unfortunate tendency to be sensitive about such things.

J

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Quote:

I would just like to gently point out that I'm not sure I really need to be lectured in the field of electronics and video - so please don't speak to me as if I'm an idiot - I have an unfortunate tendency to be sensitive about such things.

End-Quote

LOL :D :D

Sean G.

20. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    AE100 under a grand £995 inc VAT.here

Crocodile JD

21. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    J: Was your last comment about me? If so I don't think that my comments were directed at you. They were in a direct response to Garry's post.

There are many folk who read these threads and I put in pertinent information on their behalf. It is all too easy to read comments on boards such as this and believe them to be true, simply because they are here.

I also don't think my comments were treating anyone as if they were an idiot.

Gordon

PS. If you weren't having a go at me then I'm sorry for being so sensitive...it's that time of the month.

22. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gordon,

I suspect that J's comment "I'm not sure I really need to be lectured in the field of electronics and video - so please don't speak to me as if I'm an idiot" might have been in reaction to my post regarding his quoting salesmen's opinions.

I'm sorry that he feels that anyone would "lecture" him or "speak to me as if I'm an idiot" - posting a "contentious" comment and receiving a robust response is hardly new here. Still, it's all good for a laugh !!

BTW, If anyone is qualified to "lecture" us in the field of electronics and video, its got to be you, despite the fact that I've never read any of your posts which had a "lecturing" tone - so lecture (educate) away !!!

Sean G.

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Ah......I read all J's posts and never put two and two together....oops...still I'll leave my post there so folk can see what a loser I am!

doh!

Gordon

24. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Read your posts re CES - jealous big time !!

Any news on the Event ?? airmiles saved up and getting twitchy !!

Sean G.

25. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Gordon my reply wasn't aimed at you - it was aimed at TheRitz and his outburst regarding the Panasonic AE100.

I've just realised from a few of the other posts that TheRitz is an AE100 owner which I suppose explains it.

Like I said. I was quoting an opinion that wasn't my own. I don't have an opinion on the two because I haven't seen them set up.

Like I also said... It's only a piece of plastic and here today, gone tomorrow. This applies to many items of consumer electronics including the HS10.

Suggest we move on.

26. Oliv83

Oliv83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's now definitvely more clear for me :confused: oups
    let read lot of other documentations;)

27. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a little note..
    The infocus x1 - If you suffer from the rainbow effect then the 2x colour wheel may still produce these effects.
    Is the Z1 a true widescreen 16:9 projector?
    The contrast ratio sounds pretty good at 800:1, Is this visibly better than the AE100.
    I would love to go for a DLP when I get tired of my Panny, but untill the rainbows dissappear I am happy to stick with the litle feller.

Chris

28. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes!

LCD, 960x540 (16:9)
    700 Lumens, 800:1
    3000 Hours, 28dB (Depending on room temps, fan speed may increase)
    Throw Ratio: 1.35 - 1.6:1
    Lens Shift

29. sonn

sonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One swedish guy, called Drem, writes at the avsforum.com:
    Yes, I compared them. The colors and the smoothness of the picture was much better on the HS2. The de-interlacing circuits on the Z1 is actually very poor compared to the HS2 ones. Difference in resolution between the two is small, I don't notice it at all and frankly I don't think anyone else would either. I saw more screendoor on the Z1 when looking at them both, but once again, and this can be said 1000 times, it all depends on the setup.
    Drem has also translated a nice HS2 review from swedish.
    I believe him!
    :hiya:

30. cine king

cine king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at it another way,No one would say the AE100 was the best-no matter how cheap.

Same applies to the Z1.

But the best picture quality for the best price?

If you have 3k to spend,then the NEC HT1000.

If you have 4k to spend,then the Sony 12HT.

To outperform these you need to spend at least double-and even then its down to a matter of personal preference.

I think below 3k is not going to cut it regards best picture quality-purely because the projectors have been manufactured to appeal to the budget conscious and corners have been cut.
    This is not to say you cannot get a good picture under 3k-just that in no sense of the word will it qualify as best.
    CK.