Best Video For Photo

eglons

Standard Member
I want to replace my current video (Xacti HD2000) with something which has a wider angle (the Xacti is very narrow) but which I can also use to take decent photos so I dont need to carry a camera and a video when out with the family. My video usage is personal family stuff so I dont need a high end pro camcorder but I appreciate decent video.

I have a Canon EOS 450D, but it's a bit of a beast to lug around with me and I am happy to compromise and have slightly less decent quality photos and good HD video in the one unit (we are off to Florida this year and I cant face taking loads of kit into the parks). Ideally the video would allow burst photography and would allow photos while videoing (without breaking the video). Willing to spend up to £500. I've had a look on Which! and the Panasonic HC-V720 or HC-V700 seem to get best ratings at the price point but there's no info about photos when videoing etc.

Very happy to listen to advice. :lease:

Terfyn

I can't comment on other makes but the V700 takes very decent photos. I have even printed them out at A3 size using an Epson 1500W printer. The picture and the video files collect on the SD card (in my case a SDHC 32 Gb) and are separated out by the Panasonic software HDWriter.
The V700 allows for photos while videoing 'though I tend to collect them when I am using the editor as the process allows for frame accurate photos. The V700 also has "high speed burst", this gives 180 pictures at the rate of 50 per second. Really it is video shot as a series of stills so the same could be accessed via an editor program.
The V700 are a good price at the moment as they have been replaced by the V720.
An extra battery and a charger (suggest you look at www.digitalmediastore.co.uk for a Panasonic VW-VBK360) would also be a good idea. The V700 fits easily in a jacket pocket. (not that you will be wearing one where you are going)

I also have an Olympus E-10 bridge camera but, I regret to say, I rarely use it for photos.

Last edited:

Terfyn

First you can take still photos while recording video, it just takes a still from a video frame.
When you say burst photos, do you mean a rapid collection of still photos to, for example, freeze action? If so - Yes.
As I said above, I would extract both these items at the editing stage but the camera will do what you ask.

Terfyn

Just to quote from that write up:-
6.1 Megapixel Still Pictures
In still-image mode the V700 camcorder can record stills with up to 6.1 megapixels for images recorded with a 3:2 (3024 x 2016) or 4:3 (2848 x 2136) aspect ratio. When simultaneously shooting a motion image, it can record still images with up to 5.8 megapixels (3200 x 1800) for images recorded with a 16:9 aspect ratio. This high pixel count and Hybrid O.I.S. mean that images look dense and beautiful. The Panasonic HC-V700 HD camcorder lets you enjoy high quality in both motion and still images

The photos really are very good for what is a camcorder. I use 32Gb SDHC cards and, I think, if I was taking the camera abroad I would go with 3-4 SDHC Cards. The camera will take up to 64 Gb SDXC cards. As all the information is stored on the SD card, a mixture of photos and video will reduce the stated capacity for each medium. As well as the photo and video information, the card stores a number of "housekeeping" files, this is why I use HDWriter to sort the video/picture information from the additional data stored there.

12harry

You can download a User Manual from Pana for the V720.

Post #6 give you pretty much the Stills+Video situation.... but check the Manual before buying.

I just wonder why you bought a quality camera (that Canon DSLR) and then ignore it . . .

EDIT after Post#8:-
I'd be surprised that the Xacti is particularly good (but no doubt cheap), and I guess your "lightness and Portabilty" stack higher than quality. . . . could you say how these films are Edited and then Viewed?
By comparison the difference between the DSLR and the v500 will be "noticable - but not annoying" - provided you tailor your shooting to its strengths - and use a solid tripod....this "lifts" most camcorders, whatever their claims for Optical Stab.

EDIT after Post#10
I read that too...
What I was suggesting is that a tripod-mounted camcorder should take better footage than when held in the hand. It makes no sense to have "Stab On" when tripod-mounted....but RTFM.

Last edited:

eglons

Standard Member
You can download a User Manual from Pana for the V720.

Post #6 give you pretty much the Stills+Video situation.... but check the Manual before buying.

I just wonder why you bought a quality camera (that Canon DSLR) and then ignore it . . .
Purely portability... I use it when I want to take nice photos but generally video so having a video that takes good stills seems a better option... I may flog the DSLR kit if the video is any good.

eglons

Standard Member
EDIT after Post#8:-
I'd be surprised that the Xacti is particularly good (but no doubt cheap), and I guess your "lightness and Portabilty" stack higher than quality. . . . could you say how these films are Edited and then Viewed?
By comparison the difference between the DSLR and the v500 will be "noticable - but not annoying" - provided you tailor your shooting to its strengths - and use a solid tripod....this "lifts" most camcorders, whatever their claims for Optical Stab.
Videos are editted in Pinnacle Studio 15 and viewed as either burned DVD (posted to grandparents) or streamed HD in our house.

stormchaser

Novice Member
just a wee point that sometimes gets overlooked.....................some cams tell you to switch the stabilisation off when using a tripod.

need to check the manual for different cams

eglons

Standard Member
After a lot of deliberation I went for the v720, it's on at £470 at Amazon but got a £50 voucher gift and a deal with Panasonic at the moment for a free battery so works out good value... thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom