Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

best video connection for panny pw6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pezzer, Jun 14, 2004.

1. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    undefinedundefinedundefined

I have just bought a panny PW6 - what is the best method for connecting sky + digibox via RGB scart - should I use the VGA with a scart to VGA syncblaster cable , get the component video board or use a scart board ?

Any advice would be welcome !

2. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ^bumpity bump, because I was going to ask the exact same thing :lease:

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you should get the RGB plasma SCART to VGA box from av-sales

4. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    How does it work in terms of progressive scan? Does it actually make the picture a progressive scan, or does it act as just a converter? I am VERY new to all this, so bear with me!
    I was looking a Syncmaster cable, although this box is seeming to be the better option. Basically I have all my scart stuff going through a Vivanco switching box - would I just connect the satellite part off to the plasma, or the whole switching box (thus improving the quality of VHS?), or am I barking up the wrong tree completely!

Presumably, if I went for a VGA based connecter, I would have to do sound for anything using it, via a couple of phonos?

Thanks!

Ollie

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It does not make interlaced video into progressive, and will not even convert/display a VHS. You should probably bin the VHS anyway.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    If your VHS has RGB output, no problems
    Sound? That's what your HIFI is for!

Switching box into SCART plasma to VGA box is deffo way to go, PW6 SCART board naff.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,085
    ollie501

Your Plasma Display converts all incoming Interlaced video signals to Progressive and additionally has its own internal Cinema mode that watches out for material that's been transferred from Film to Video.

You can fit a range of Input Boards to the Plasma Display chassis to cope with pretty much any video signal you want to throw at it.

RGB SCART sources (your Digibox) can either be connected directly to the Display via the Optional SCART Input board (which is OK but always looks soft to me) or use an external sync processor (RGB2VGA) to interface it with the HD15 (VGA) socket on the Plasma or an external signal transcoder (RGB2YUV) to Interface it with the Plasma HD15 (VGA) socket, Plasma Component Board or via an AV Receiver with YUV Component switching.

If you want to retain the Vivanco SCART switch in your system the only viable option is to fit a SCART board in the Plasma Display - the SCART board will recognise and process Composite, S-Video and RGB; which you have a mixture of going by your indicated sources.

Alternatively do away with the Vivanco and run separate cables to separate Video boards in the Display to cope with each signal type - or use an external Switcher/Video Processor to pre process all video signals so you only present one Video type to the Display (many folk now use mid range AV Receivers with Video Up conversion for Composite and S-Video to achieve single wire connectivity via YUV Component).

You can also look at a high quality SD to HD Video Decoder such as the DVDO iScanHD (£1k) that processes a range of Interlaced video signals and applies Progressive Processing plus scaling to 720P or other programmable outputs and also has Digital Audio processing to keep Video and Audio in sync.

Where your budget is not limitless and you want the best out of your RGB SCART equipped Digibox then a JS Technology RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converter into the Plasma HD15 (VGA) socket will give you the best 'unprocessed' Interlaced signal to your Display and a SCART Board in the Display for the rest of your sources via the Vivanco will be ideal for your 'secondary' sources.

Any questions please shout.

Joe