Best VHS player

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Confusionking, Sep 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Afternoon all!

Not sure where is best to post this but from people's experiences or memory, what was one of the best VHS/VCR players for picture quality and durability?

Looking to play a lot of my older films on VHS and want to get the best player for the job?

Thanks in advance

2. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The player will be used for playing alot of ex rental videos

Cheers

3. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I swore by Sony. And I still have one.
    I think I have an Aiwa too.

Both were 4 heads.

The Panasonics were brilliant too.

4. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks mate.

Any model numbers please?

5. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
  6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,103
    Probably better to have the thread moved into here Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders or the Blu-ray/DVD players thread.

Occasionally see VHS posts in there & the people posting in that section seem to know their stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,240

I always found the JVC S-VHS machines to be excellent and an improvement over the regular VHS players.

Panasonic machines, particularly the ones with the die cast mechanisms, are very good as well.

This is based on several years experience of selling them.

If you're interested I may well be selling one or two of my players. If you're interested I'll dig out the model numbers and further details including pricing. Obviously any deal would be done on a proper for sale thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    The Panasonic D-VHS recorder HM DR 10000. Played everything including digital VHS. Easily the best PQ, especially in digital mode. 21 hours recording on a tape, too. ( I still have them..) Obsolete now though, for recording, because it doesn't have a digital tuner.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  9. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks so far.

I would ideally like to keep it all Sony since I will be watching ex rental tapes on my Sony Trinitron TV.

Ideally want a 4 head Sony VHS player.

Is the SLV-E730 the best model for this or were there others just as good too?

Most of the E730's are sold from Germany on eBay and worries about the power plug being different

10. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying a Sony; because they did certainly made some nice machines. But you did ask:

And

Nothing wrong with Sony; they're fine. But if you really want the best then I'd certainly point you towards the better Panasonic and JVC machines.

Don't forget that Sony only reluctantly adopted VHS when their rival Betamax format failed. They had no real love for VHS and it showed in the level of effort they put into the engineering of the machines. They were fine, probably better than a average in some cases, but never truly exceptional.

If you compare the build quality of their Beta and VHS machines there is simply no comparison. The majority of Sony Beta machines are tank like and far superior to anything they made in VHS format.

But if you want a Sony, you won't be disappointed it will work well, but I wouldn't regard it as the best.

11. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You are spot on and I appreciate it.

Could you point me towards some model numbers of the machines you talk about please?

There are that many JVC and Panasonic players out there, I am lost without model numbers.

Cheers

12. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
  13. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    I had a Sony SLV-E710 from new but it died sometime ago. My opinion at the time was that the Sony models seem to get be getting more and more cut down and cheaper looking.

I have a Panasonic NV-HS800 that I picked up recently using the S-Video and composite out as my TV doesn't do Scart any more. The PQ wasn't great although cleaning the heads did improve it. It also struggled to sync on my TV if you paused it or FF etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong the machine but just new meets old ... :)

14. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I like the look of the Sony SLV-E730 due to the 4 video heads and design but the ones on Ebay are all based in Germany and the power supply comes with the Euro 2 pin plug.

Would there be any problems in getting one and using a EU to UK adapter to power it?

15. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    Most videos are that time had multiple heads often 4 so its not an unusual feature. Some adverts on ebay suggest it was a 6 head but I suspect only 4. It doesn't make much difference in features, stepping up to a SVHS video player could do though as although you are playing VHS tapes they had additional picture controls.

Not wishing to knock the 730 but it was downgraded from the earlier versions of that model, it lost features. There were are least two models above including the 830 and 930.

There is one a £20 plus postage in the UK.

If you buy from France\Germany either get a reverse adaptor as you say or just chop the euro plug and put a UK plug on.

16. Confusionking

Confusionking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks Chuck!

Which model is the one on for £20 please?

17. dr_jon

dr_jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Another vote for the JVC S-VHS machines. I actually kept my last one (it's in a box somewhere) just in case I wanted to watch an old family video or something.

18. wilco1uk

wilco1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    My experiences differ from many here. I had a slightly lower than top end JVC, great picture quality, but within a couple of years it started chewing tapes. Replaced with a Sony (again slightly lower than top end), picture quality had no discernible difference, but it lasted much longer.....still have it buried in the loft somewhere.

Sorry, no idea of model numbers.

19. SARDG

SARDG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have two high-end consumer JVC S-VHS machines; HR-S4500U and the HR-S7500U and use the 7500 as a permanent part of my HT system. With upscaling to 4K and virtual surround, if you squint your eyes a little, it ain't too bad. Both of these have a crazy number of features not usually required for casual playback - especially the 7500.

JVC developed the VHS system and that speaks volumes. At work (45 years ago), we had a complete JVC 2-VHS editing system with a TBC (Time Base Corrector) and switcher.

ETA: Super VHS VCRs - HR-S7500U - Introduction

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  20. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Sorry for the late reply; I've been both busy and under the weather recently.

Sorry; I'm afraid I really can't remember specific model numbers. Though the number '7700' sticks in my mind.

If I remember correctly both Panasonic and JVC had VHS players with that model number but years apart. So that would be Panasonic NV7700 and JVC HRS 7700 both of which excellent machines.

I do have a JVC HRS 6700 S-VHS machine that I bought as a back up machine that is unused other than having a tape fast forwarded and rewound through about once or twice a year; it just to keep the mechanism used for sale. It is boxed and in pristine condition. I'd be happy to sell it for a modest amount of money (£25?) plus delivery if you were interested. Obviously if you were local you could collect.

I do have another JVC SVHS machine available; but that has seen more regular use but is also great quality and in good condition. I'll dig out more details if that may be of interest.